Admin vs Streetsleeper Solar Shootout

Rae, did you have to fit bigger backing plates for the original roof bars?
Hello Chris,
As all the framework was factory fitted and, in my opinion, built to a very high standard I felt no need to upgrade the mounting points. I have no issues climbing up and down the ladder at the back of the vehicle and I would imagine the framework would be fixed in the same manner.

Rae

Well I’ll be going down the same route this week got the last bits I need so hopefully I’ll be tilting mine next week .
Huzza, a man of distinction!

Rae

A walk in the park, Alan's called old man down cos he keeps falling over Rae 😀
Hello Paul,
But he does it with such style, last time I saw him sitting on the floor I honestly thought he was going to break into........Boots Upside Your Head.

Rae

Looking at panel array, the only way is \\ UP //. You'll be fine (y)
Very true Terry but being the woman I am I will look at it from a different angle and find another way......a better way ;):LOL:

Rae, if you got yourself a setup that not only tilted, but also tracked (either auto or manually) the sun. Your thoughts that this would allow you to utilise one panel, only?

Rae, if you got yourself a setup that not only tilted, but also tracked (either auto or manually) the sun. Your thoughts that this would allow you to utilise one panel, only?
Hello Terry,
I can safely say I'm quite happy with the tilt and the angle that we've got it at. As for the tracking, the option that I thought would be the easiest and simplest was to face the van south and turn the steering lock fully to the nearside and, as the day progresses, reverse the van thus following the sun. As for two panels, if I didn't have lithium batteries I believe one panel would have sufficed. I don't know the mathematics but, from my understanding, you can only get so much into a lead filled battery at one time. The way we intend to use the solar is to hammer it first thing in the morning and then, by dinner time, let it recuperate. As mentioned earlier, we made six big mugs of tea in the morning and within two hours the batteries were back to nearly full.

Rae

Hello Terry,
I can safely say I'm quite happy with the tilt and the angle that we've got it at. As for the tracking, the option that I thought would be the easiest and simplest was to face the van south and turn the steering lock fully to the nearside and, as the day progresses, reverse the van thus following the sun. As for two panels, if I didn't have lithium batteries I believe one panel would have sufficed. I don't know the mathematics but, from my understanding, you can only get so much into a lead filled battery at one time. The way we intend to use the solar is to hammer it first thing in the morning and then, by dinner time, let it recuperate. As mentioned earlier, we made six big mugs of tea in the morning and within two hours the batteries were back to nearly full.

Rae
I was checking my options today on what I could do with current, or replacement panels. Not really many options with sat dish on roof, especially when dish is searching through 360 degrees, LNB arm sits out a fair bit.

Dish gave me an idea, an old redundant, in my case, Oyster dish could possibly be utilised to hold a panel instead of a sat dish, which can be operated manually, just thinking of taking your type of setup to another level.

Need to have a wee chat with you re; lithium next time I see you.

I was checking my options today on what I could do with current, or replacement panels. Not really many options with sat dish on roof, especially when dish is searching through 360 degrees, LNB arm sits out a fair bit.

Dish gave me an idea, an old redundant, in my case, Oyster dish could possibly be utilised to hold a panel instead of a sat dish, which can be operated manually, just thinking of taking your type of setup to another level.

Need to have a wee chat with you re; lithium next time I see you.
You used to be able to buy an electrical ariel rotator which you could position through an electric control, ok it wouldn’t track automatically but could be rotated every couple of hours to get the most benefit. Have you seen anything like that?

You used to be able to buy an electrical ariel rotator which you could position through an electric control, ok it wouldn’t track automatically but could be rotated every couple of hours to get the most benefit. Have you seen anything like that?
You could connect the motor through a on-off timer so it was energised for a certain duration (equal to a few degrees) every 30 minutes or whatever.
Not quite automatic positioning but as log as you start off at the right location at the right time, you would get reliable tracking over the day once the intial timing was worked out :)

You could connect the motor through a on-off timer so it was energised for a certain duration (equal to a few degrees) every 30 minutes or whatever.
Not quite automatic positioning but as log as you start off at the right location at the right time, you would get reliable tracking over the day once the intial timing was worked out :)
Sounds like a good idea, the only problem with the rotator I remember seeing was that it was quite long, probably 30 to 40 cms long. However there could well be more modern versions available particularly with the advancement in small motor design.

could be rotated every couple of hours to get the most benefit.
Hello Eric,
I'm really not sure this is needed, it all depends on how you intend to use the electricity. As I mentioned earlier, all I intend to do is face the van south and, providing I get all my energy used before, say, half ten in the morning, I believe it will be replenished by the early afternoon and so the tracking will not be required.

Rae

You could connect the motor through a on-off timer
Hello David,
The biggest problem we have here is stability; you may get away with one panel, two I can't see it. When I put my solar panels up, the quicker I could get them in position and strapped down, the happier I am and that is supported in four corners to stop the panels from flexing. A rotator would have to have a very large base and you would have to strengthen the roof considerably.

Rae

probably 30 to 40 cms long.
Hello Eric,
As I mentioned earlier, connecting it to the roof is going to be a huge problem; I think it would buckle most roofs, even in a light wind. When we first talked about tilting the solar panels it was mentioned about rotating it and, at the end, I just went for keep it simple and let's get it done: which I stuck to.

Rae

Hello David,
The biggest problem we have here is stability; you may get away with one panel, two I can't see it. When I put my solar panels up, the quicker I could get them in position and strapped down, the happier I am and that is supported in four corners to stop the panels from flexing. A rotator would have to have a very large base and you would have to strengthen the roof considerably.

Rae
I was thinking more in my reply about the "panel on a sat dish" thing that was mentioned.
you are right - big panels rotating would be very tricky!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:291)

loulou, 2cv, jeffmossy, cronkle, Bigusdickus, Edina, Haaamster, ian and cath, mistericeman, StreetSleeper, St3v3, Linda, Exwindsurfer, Undertaker, Hank, wildebus, jagmanx, Wooie1958, linlanc, Gixer, Trotter, guerdeval, Millie Master, Lee, tapfitter, tonybvi, Beemer, runnach, Annabella, Jenrai, Wully, Ian1950, LANDS43, Alf, saxonborg, Papillon, Obanboy666, maingate, SimonM, Val54, Barge1914, Paulmold, JoeH, 5andy, nabsim, Topmast, paulhelenwilko, Reiverlad, ironman, 47643, Minisorella, UFO, Martingrant, Auld Clankie, HymerHunter, Full Member, The laird, Steveandjulie, wakk44, Peisinoe, Bigshug, TeamRienza, Livotlout, RoadTrek Boy, yorkslass, andyjanet, Molly 3, Silver sprinter, watchthis, HurricaneSmith, Winks, VanGal, Helsque, nutts, Okta, campervanfan, newfpark, Clunegapyears, CavityandLacey, maja07, forthpilot, Dowel, GeoffL, time4t, Liberty hall, ActiveCampers, Chrisb1701, RoaminRog, rab126, Caz, Penny13, steveh2010, Chip, Mr&Mrs Tupcox, debs, Campervanannie, Montana, Grouchy, ton27, bellars, Fiona68, alwaysared, trevskoda, Chris356, Mobilvetta, Telstar, Tezza33, Geraldine, Ric Tic, neckender, Forcesixwindy, AndyJL, Robert webber, Forest1, helmit, linkshouse, JockandRita, Blanzacdavid, horace, daveremog, blosax, Mike-p, Biggarmac, Keithhep, andy63, toystory, Isa Neal, skippy, clarkpeacock, debroos, Trek, Sid61, mandoman, fenders, Dulvil, timatabsa, JohnnyGM7LSI, Izwozral, yorkieowl, Noeldoes, cowanhouse, morsecat, Bigbarry, Nesting Zombie, Salty dogs, rugbyken, Andyshep, Dave, Tribute11, Sola, Monseeker, coopermoto, gipsy_jo, Dex, Yorky, Gary1957, Pete Rachel, Greenwayjay, stevefarndale, Dawnydawns, Mmiles2017, harrym, John Gibb, V1nny, jhorsf, Yorkscol, Brian, Castaway, ScoTTyBEEE, BobbyT, Old Man Down, YOLO BUS, Scampi30, glesgaman, magpie, mariesnowgoose, Mick P, Dave01249, David26, laner, disco257, katv, eurajohn, Bounce, Pawneepilot, ems, Gitana, ronharper333@gmail.com, Cocky, marymary, subablu, Chris Evans001, JSP, Bobtaylor, billfraser, FERENZA, gerrevelyn, lifeafloat, Jabas, Robmac, Lefty, Peter51, talbotti, Marzar, Bill, bjh, Rockburner, Veloman, coffeenut, RogerO, pottertonrambler, mur, royh28, Ronnie B, Timeoutotour, Tallyman, Mischief2, mjhall37, jpdfisher, sheppy21a, Firefox, EJB, Neodafyd, PinkFlowerPetal, kevlakes, Dee, maxsdad, Mikel, Jays, Beeza, IanT, pedro, scoobydiver, manandadog, Pudsey Bear, Grasshopper, Somerled, Lorraine, DorisBoris, bloodnut, Slin, mark61, sandshoe, oppy, Rapido9, DUNVeganduo, slonger, bartman, vintagefoden, traceybull41, Ken Parsons, Bess, jiwawa, ken sowerby, edintheclouds, Phtron, Rec, Ellendale, Shaun944t, Pictvan, Murthat, teckguy, Doddy, Scotchsw3, Pete Langton, PeteS, Harrers, old cronies, Kevin Lewis, Fiorino, Reevsie, mitch, Bfcpete, MikeB, Avocadopicker, Ianfkelly1952, Mbarnetpepper, Fifer, Stormin, beerdrinker, coxieboy, Ray, Steveboy, Maplec, ppara, cliveyn, Wimbrill, roadroamer, charlie356, IscubaToo, John and Carole,