AdventureB4dementia 4?

Trotter

Ab4d 3 will be Spain next February.
Ab4d 4. I’m thinking of Czech Republic next September, possibly Poland as well. Problem is, I’m not sure if it’s a trip I want to do solo. If this appeals to you, let me know. Tbh, the more the merrier. 🎶 Looks like we got us a convoy 🎵

We did northern Germany route across to Poland .. several lorry parking places, but campsites shut early/ mid Sept .. beautiful countryside and great new roads

We did northern Germany route across to Poland .. several lorry parking places, but campsites shut early/ mid Sept .. beautiful countryside and great new roads
Before I retire , I’ll talk to some of the Polish lads at work for any advice they can give me. Got a sneaky idea that wild camping was illegal. Suppose they’ve got to find you first.

Left Poland yesterday after 3 days, although on my motorcycle I'm always considering new places to go in the van. Poland felt very safe ( I'm travelling solo ) and I saw quite a few places I would have happily parked up for the night. It is a beautiful country, folk are friendly and costs low. Just be aware that in rural areas English is not spoken.
Food is excellent as is the wine.

Dziekuju

I've driven those countries solo, and it was fine. The roads in Poland vary hugely, from superb brand new highways to dusty bumpy roads that require care.

Using a trusty "Eyewitness" guide (with clearly illustrated walks) I found there was much to see and do. I'd wanted to visit the Teutonic fortress of Malbork since I was lad, now achieved. Outside the ski season, don't bother with Zakopane unless you love rows and rows of tourist tat, but do visit the surrounding villages which are unspoiled and lovely.

My view was that the countryfolk were not rolling in cash, and so it felt right for me to pay for small camp sites.....never expensive like the UK, but standards varied hugely in rural areas.

I found Czech more wealthy, and the costs slightly higher. The roads are in good order too.

One tip so avoid driving onwards with redundant currency is to use it for fuel before the border, or visit a local shop and buy food. The shopkeepers will be grateful for the business.

Do it!

I’m not bothered about going solo from a safety point of view. I’d like to be able to say, wow, look at that, or did you see.
Also, like today, I’ll continue driving for the sake of it. It’s been wet and overcast all day, so nothing to stop for. Not as bad as the UK, but certainly not, lets get out for a walk weather.
I’ve arrived back in France a day or two early only because, if you want fresh milk don’t bother with Belgium. Aldi,
Lidl, Carrifour, forget it. “Peut-etre en France.. Oui ,eventually . Maybe one day I’ll get used to UHT in tea, don’t hold your breath.

Any rumours of Adventureb4dementia have been greatly exaggerated. After a difficult week, yesterday’s 6 o’clock news was the straw that took me over the top.
On the plus side, Demi passed its MOT no problem, green card finally arrived, three months meds safely dispensed.
Minus ? Still unsure how our European friends are act while travelling through their countries. Boris’s early Christmas news. And the “plumber” dealing with our boiler leak, giving me no confidence I’d be leaving Nikki with a working central heating system.
Having made that decision, it feels like a weight off my mind.
So, roll on vaccine, let’s get living again. Whatever the new normal is to be.

I didn't notice the date/year of these posts when I was just reading them :(
Well, I am sure the places to visit will still be there 15 months or so from the original planned dates - so onward and upwards after a couple of jabs sounds like a plan (y) (y)

I didn't notice the date/year of these posts when I was just reading them :(
Well, I am sure the places to visit will still be there 15 months or so from the original planned dates - so onward and upwards after a couple of jabs sounds like a plan (y) (y)
And a plumber 😳

Watching the news today, it looks like my trip would have been cancelled anyway.

Ours also Derek , looks like it is now another waiting game . On the positive side my boss has told me I can carry on working for him until the time comes when we can hit the road again :)

Ours also Derek , looks like it is now another waiting game . On the positive side my boss has told me I can carry on working for him until the time comes when we can hit the road again :)
Mine said that as well. Had to remind her, that 1, I didn't renew my licence, and 2, Since the transport department was tranfered over, I wouldn't work for Stobarts, as long as I had a hole in my rear.
Although I did have an idea of seeing how much carnage I could cause before leaving the yard. Reckon I could have destroyed 3 or 4 units, and a trailer or two. Then I had a rethink. It would all seem a bit churlish, plus I'd need to make the journey to and from Burton Latimer, and I'd done that more than enough times ;)
Seasons greetings to you and yours.

Didn't quite follow all of that, but suspect you're saying that you're pleased to be retired.

If so, then so am I. It may have taken me 9 years, but, I got there in the end.

Didn't quite follow all of that, but suspect you're saying that you're pleased to be retired.

If so, then so am I. It may have taken me 9 years, but, I got there in the end.
The company I worked for have outsourced their transport and all company drivers have been TUPD over.
And I have history with the Best transport company in the UK. Who have debts of over £200million.

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back