Advice on Pet pen/carrier

Rockburner

Advice on Pet pen/carrier

We're going to be doing a lot of moving about soon in our PVC and we're researching the best way to ensure that our pet lurcher is safe. She's a rescue, and I think she'll be ok in the van, but we're looking to make sure by keeping her in a carrier or pen whilst moving.

The van we're getting has a 'dinette' layout behind the passenger seat and we can lower the table to the same height as the bench seat (it's one of those layouts that can be used as a bed).

HOWEVER - the dog hates being in confined spaces, so I'm looking for an open top system that can be folded flat when we're parked up (or conceivably, used outside the vehicle as a familiar bed area for the dog). It also needs to be strong enough to 'catch' the dog in the event of an emergency stop, and (preferably) have an open end so that she can get in easily.

What pens/carriers do people use or recommend (negative reviews also very welcome! ;) ).

Unfortunately we haven't taken ownership of the van as yet, so I don't know the exact dimensions of the space.

I personally use a padded harness and a seatbelt clip and put her bed on the seats but Tays is a small dog and I don't like cages.

We have a golden retriever and we lower the table to the same height as the two passenger seats, we then have a waterproof cover that fits over the sest and part of the table, on top of that is a piece of good quality vetbed and then finally she has her harness clipped to one of the two passenger seat belts. She is secured but can still move and it is useful for her to sleep on at night.

I bought a metal crate for my Reg (spaniel), cost me £70 and took up the whole of the floor. He hated it and drew blood chewing his way out of it, so I gave up with that idea. He wears a harness and is attached via a very short lead to the table leg. He can get on the passenger seat (I keep it reversed, airbag has been disabled) or lay on the floor by the handbrake.

We have a Heritage soft dog carrier for our two Cavapoos, this sits in the dining space behind the drivers seat of our Autotrail Cheyenne. As the carrier has several meshed openings the dogs can see us and we can see the dogs. We have used this for three years without any problems.

Campervanannie;n4876 said:
I personally use a padded harness and a seatbelt clip and put her bed on the seats but Tays is a small dog and I don't like cages.

Same. We tried a soft light weight crate, but Oscar 'burst' through the front mesh. We attach it to the rear seat harness and a lead that is just long enough for him to get close to us.

Our cocker spaniel was crate trained, and we took the crate with us when he was a puppy, fastening behind the cab seats. Now he is adult we use a travel,harness which is tied to the bar on the back of the cab seats, he is happy with that, lying between the seats. The crate now resides in the hatchback of the car, and he travels,in this in the car. It is a crate from Pets at Home, a wire one that folds down. It has a door at the front and one on the side. I would recommend getting one with the two,doors, as if you change your car the orientation of the crate might mean you can't get the door open, as we found to our cost!

Lesley

I think it’s very debatable where seat belt clips actually would work .
they aren’t Tested to any British standard or any standards as far as I know.
In the event of a proper collision the only think that’s going to hold is a proper seat belt on a person and even that’s not guarenteed and not in a side collision in particular

Last edited by a moderator:
By law all pets/dogs must be separated from the driver zone by a metal dog guard,you may be ok with a dog crate if fastened down correctly, some times you see these in estate cars which are made to bs standard,dont know if anyone makes them for vans,look the net/ebay etc.

trevskoda;n6379 said:
By law all pets/dogs must be separated from the driver zone by a metal dog guard,you may be ok with a dog crate if fastened down correctly, .

You have stated this before Trev, (different forum) can you post a link to this law because I couldn't find it last time

This is the only law I can find, it is on gov.uk so I think it will be accurate
Rule 57

When in a vehicle make sure dogs or other animals are suitably restrained so they cannot distract you while you are driving or injure you, or themselves, if you stop quickly. A seat belt harness, pet carrier, dog cage or dog guard are ways of restraining animals in cars.

source

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back