Air Ride suspension assist - what pressures are people using?

Silew

I've just fitted Dunlop air suspension to my Peugeot Boxer based moho however it doesn't come with any recommendations regarding air pressures other than Min 0.5 to max 7.0 Bar.
The van is currently plated at 3500kg and I'm planning to re-plate to 4100kg. Any ideas or suggestions regarding air pressures much appreciated.
Cheers.

If it is any help, we have Goldschmidt rear assisted suspension. When it was fitted in Athens we were told to run it at about 3 out of a possible 10. But recently we went into a motorhome dealer who is one of the two authorised installers for Goldschmidt. When we got the van back they had switched it up to 5 out of 10. The ride is much much better. We are plated at 4850 and running at about 4350.

So you want the bags to carry 600kg between them.
That's 300kg each - say 700 pounds.
In simple area terms this would be about 20-30 psi.
However the deciding factor will be ride height and handling.
When you have got a full load you will want to level off the van front to rear and may well get up to 50-60 psi

Like you I have no information on the assisted suspension fitted to my van in fact the previous owner did not realize it was even there, but like you I run it at 3out of 10 bearing in mind the van is elderly and have no idea when it was fitted I am not risking pumping it to hard ,having said at 3 it certainly improves the ride.

I have a Nexxo and I have my pressures just under 3 bar, as has already been said have the pressures so the vehicle is level.

We tend to run ours anywhere between 3 and 4 bar, around 5 if it is particularly windy.

Silew
Have you approached an Engineer about the rear axle up-rate?
Several have used John Ruffles of JR Consultancy in Bury St Edmunds.
Taking the back axle up by half a ton will probably require stronger tyres.
Are you on 15" wheels?

Run mine at the minium 0.5 bar and only pump them up to max 7 bar ( using dash controls that operate compressor ) when driving across campsite fields

only reason I fitted them was to try to stop the swaying side to side when I drive over rough ground

reduce pressure back to minimum when leaving

Camper drives perfectly on the road and roundabouts, overtaking , etc. its just rough ground at slow speed it sways

these are fitted to my 5 ton rwd sprinter ( twin wheels on back axle)

Hymer 5.85 metre A-class 3400kg. Travelling alone with very little payload I only used 1 bar. Tried 1.5 and 2, but it was like a bouncy castle at the back driving. It starting bouncing and just kept going. Probably the amount of suspension (springs and airbags) was too much for the amount of damping). It also lifts the back up too much. I think it's just a matter of experimenting. Start low, even at 0.5 bar, drive a bit, then bump it up 0.5 bar at a time until you reach a point you notice detrimental handling, then back it off a bit. Mine had a gauge and car type valves for each side with a knob to change sides into the gauge. I just used a small bike pump.

First thing you might notice is less lean going around roundabouts, a bit more stable when big trucks pass (less buffeting), but when pressure is too high you'll get too bouncy at the rear.

I shouldn't have bothered fitting it as I really couldn't say I noticed a huge improvement. Probably due to my light load. It'd probably be far more useful with heavier loads.

Silew
Have you approached an Engineer about the rear axle up-rate?
Several have used John Ruffles of JR Consultancy in Bury St Edmunds.
Taking the back axle up by half a ton will probably require stronger tyres.
Are you on 15" wheels?
Thanks Markd, I've been in touch with John and found him to be very helpful. I'm running 15" wheels and reckon that a move to 112 rated tyres should be just about enough.

Thanks again to everyone who's taken the time to respond - all very useful.(y)

That's good to hear - there are 15" tyre recommendations in the forums.
From memory I think Continental were able to provide the highest rating.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back