Alko Semi Air Suspension

Markd

Hi Everyone
I'm considering getting air assist suspension to increase the capacity of my rear axle.
I guess there air 3 main contenders - GlideRite, SAP and AS.
I've ruled out Marcie as they are very reluctant.
Are they all much of a muchness or does any one stand out in terms of quality, performance, longevity or warranty?

Depends where you live you need consider if you have a problem or need it serviced at some point. But in saying that I used SAP Doncaster because they came recommended and it’s 240 mile from me had them do hydraulic levellers and air suspension on rear was very happy with the price but they are great at what they do and have the perfect equipment and premises to do the work professionally I had a problem with my hydraulics that I caused and they repaired it within a week I can’t recommend them enough. Think members get a discount too

Thanks Wully - they are all much the same distance from me as it happens.
Do GlideRite and SAP both do VB?

My vans the alko tag axle and it’s a vb semi air on the back my main reason for having it fitted was a bit of extra help in hight for ferries and stuff the alko tag already was smooth but I have noticed it’s definitely smoother with less roll.

My van is steady enough, rides pretty well and sits level.
However I'm right up on axle limit even when 'empty'
I took 50kg towbar/bumper off a few months ago but I'd like to be legal - particularly as we may go to France in autumn and I've just read the thread about 'les flics' taking an interest in van weights.
Did you get a rerate following installation?
If so what did each go up to.

Last edited:
No I never bothered I’ve got a decent payload .But I’ve never had it weighed myself I’ll do it one day might get a shock. My main reason was extra lift at tail end to compensate for the large overhang.

Glad to hear that you have decent payload.
My van is 2004 and a bit old school weight wise especially with aircon awning tow bar etc.
I'm convinced that some 3500kg 6 berthers are overloaded with 2 adults, 4 kids and a dog - never mind any clothes, pans or food!
I was horrified when I weighed mine - the previous owner had down plated to 3500kg but it was 3600kg empty!

John Ruffles Consultant says he'll certify 4200kg gross up from 3950 after the air assist.

To close this thread out (rather belatedly I'm afraid)
I went to AS in Warrington last September to have their air assist system installed which involves a lot of work taking the hubs and brakes off to fit a supplementary bracket to the trailing arm.
Unfortunately my hub bearings didn't want to come off cleanly and they had to burn-weld them.
They had warned me of this possibility and only charged for the new bearings apparently - still not a cheap extra!

Anyway they did a great job and I'm very pleased with their service and professionalism.
I duly got the rerate from John Ruffles and with stiffer front springs, dampers and seats fitted by Dave Newell in Telford am up to 4200kg MAM.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back