Alternative to motorhome holiday - backpacking :)

ActiveCampers

Hi

Anyone who knows us knows we mix up long campervan trips, cycle touring/camping, and backpacking.

Well, just come back to UK from a short month long backpacking trip around Sri Lanka - just us and a couple of small rucksacks :) Don't know how many of you guys have ever tried, but long backpacking trips are fairly similar to long motorhome holidays, in that you just arrive in a country and head off where you want, stay where you want, and move around whenever things take your fancy.

First time in Sri Lanka but it was easy to get around, only involved in one minor traffic accident, and didn't die when hanging out of overpacked train and bus doors. Local transport costs pence.

Accommodation was mainly homestays and guesthouses, all ensuite, AC when needed, and clean, and ranging from £13-18 per night including breakfast that was usually a mega feast. Home cooked feasts from £1.50..... Not much beer though :( Even "local" restaurants can be £1-2, just the ones targeted at westerners were more.

(Interestingly, whilst the homestays were great and of reasonable standard, the owners mostly still lived in their usual small homes/huts, and the food we ate was much more than them. Didn't feel overly comfortable, however, the money earned from us (more than if they were doing a "basic job" was almost always being used to put their kids through private school or extra lessons - so massive commitment to their futures rather than buying "stuff" for them. e.g. one place had 32" LCD TVs in our room, and the family had a 15" old style TV! But seeing this and chatting to them shows their priorities are right and not on "stuff". Theirs kids were happy just saying hello, playing outside, and using "old" toys...… Something we can learn from maybe! )

Saw wild elephants, leopard, sloth bear, crocks, and others (on excellent safari) and swam with massive (1m+) wild turtles just off a normal beach.

Lots of walking, climbing and exploring.

A few youngsters out there, but many middle aged people too! Some backpacking, some with private driver on tours.

Anyone tempted :)

Any more info - see blog here - otherwise just some pics below - slightly different to Europe :)

IMG_20190306_102446233.jpg

IMG_20190219_111954326.jpg
IMG_20190303_091044967.jpg
IMG_20190309_131617011_BURST004.jpg

IMG_20190309_131241289.jpg
IMG_20190216_190333252.jpg
IMG_20190224_102227959.jpg
IMG_20190303_144737838.jpg

Think I,d prefer my bus than a tent with elephants etc about ?
No camping in the nature reserve - and this time were staying in homestays/guesthouses - no tents :)
Its not the elephants there you'd worry about, its the crocks and leopards!

Blimey that looks like quite an adventure. Hats off to you mate. We did the Tour of Mont Blanc a few years ago staying in bunkhouses with a couple of bivvy nights carrying everything we needed ( and a couple of things we didn't) for the twelve day trip. It was excellent but within a familiar culture of Europe. I takes more courage than I have to do something like what you are doing.

Chapeau ;)

Blimey that looks like quite an adventure. Hats off to you mate. We did the Tour of Mont Blanc a few years ago staying in bunkhouses with a couple of bivvy nights carrying everything we needed ( and a couple of things we didn't) for the twelve day trip. It was excellent but within a familiar culture of Europe. I takes more courage than I have to do something like what you are doing.

Chapeau ;)
(its easier than you think - booking.com books the next location. Rooms always good, AC/fan/ensuite/food - and we only went with high rated places. No need to carry anything other than clothes and toiletries (ok, laptop, phones, chargers lol). And have a rough idea and "realistic" route, and its not bad..... English works :) )

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back