Alugas Cylinder Dimensions

paulhelenwilko

Hello folks,

I am checking the dimensions of all the cylinder types to see what will fit in our gas locker.

Alugas give a height of 600mm for the 11kg and 700mm for the 14kg. However I have read that the shroud can be removed from these cylinders to save space.

Does anyone have the height of these cylinders without the shroud, but still leaving room to turn o

I have taken the shroud of my 11kg bottle, I will measure the height for you with it removed when I get up and let you know unless someone beats me to it.

Autogas told me that with the shroud removed the 14kg bottle needed a minimum locker height of 700mm. My Hymer locker is 700mm and the 14kg bottle fits with just enough headroom to get your hand in to turn the bottle on and off.

With only 700 mm it is difficult to get sufficient drop in the hose, between the regulator and the top of top of the cylinder. This is needed to stop condensates in the pipe running into the regulator rather than back into the bottle. I added a Truma filter to the regulator because the filter body acts as an interceptor to catch these condensates, which can damage the regulator. This appears to be working, after one season’s use I found a small puddle of oily liquid in the filter body, the filter element still seemed clean. All I did was wipe out the body with a bit of kitchen towel.

Thanks for that. That means that removing the shroud saves about 30mm, which I guess you need at least that for your hand to turn the valve on and off. Perhaps the only advantage of removing the shroud is making the pipe runs easier and manouvering the bottle into position ?

I note what Okta says about the condensates running into the regulator and wonder if this is a problem experienced by others ?

My next question is on Alugas can you see the gauge from all sides ?

How accurate is the Alugas guage ? I hear some pretty disparaging comments about guages on other refillables.

Paul

My next question is on Alugas can you see the gauge from all sides ?

How accurate is the Alugas guage ? I hear some pretty disparaging comments about guages on other refillables.
Paul

1. No
2. I've found mine to be pretty accurate

Regards,
Del

I would also say mine is accurate, but it is difficult to see due to the lack of height in the gas locker cupboard, so I usually just take a photo of the guage to check the co tents of gas. It would be better if the gauge was in a verticals position as opposed to been horizontal.

My Alugas bottle has a gauge that can be read from the side as well as from above. The gauge seems reasonably accurate. I think Alugas use a different float device than others, probably worth talking to suppliers to find out what type of float device their bottles use.

Because the bottles are taller than they are wide, the standard float on the end of an arm can not reach either the top or the bottom of the bottle. There are diagrams online to explain this but the effect is that they only read the contents in the middle of the bottle

Because I had a bit of time on my hands I created a table of all the data I have collected on gas bottle dimensions. This then developed into a spreadsheet for me to work out my break even point if I installed refillable bottles.

I have attached the PDF with examples of useage plugged in. I would have posted the excel file but it won't upload that file type. However if anyone would find the excel file useful I will gladly email the files.

If I have made any obvious mistakes/typos please let me know. However I do not want to get into a debate like 'I can get it cheaper than that'

Cheers Paul

Attachments

• Shared gas sizes and prices.pdf
    100.8 KB · Views: 42
Because I had a bit of time on my hands I created a table of all the data I have collected on gas bottle dimensions. This then developed into a spreadsheet for me to work out my break even point if I installed refillable bottles.

I have attached the PDF with examples of useage plugged in. I would have posted the excel file but it won't upload that file type. However if anyone would find the excel file useful I will gladly email the files.

If I have made any obvious mistakes/typos please let me know. However I do not want to get into a debate like 'I can get it cheaper than that'

Cheers Paul
I think the weight for the Alugas 11kg is incorrect

If you can't see the gauge, try a small mirror. That is what I use for a different item
That’s what I had to use on my pvc along with a torch, pleased my new motorhome will accommodate 2 x 11kg cylinders so no need to view gauges.
I’ll just run off 1 cylinder then when empty changeover to second cylinder and fill up next available opportunity.

Cheers Paul
Thanks for the calculations. Very useful

So far I have found the gauge on the Alugas 11Kg to be fairly accurate. I haven't run it anywhere near the empty but comparing the gauge to the amount topped up I have found it to be close and has given me confidence.

Paul

I think the weight for the Alugas 11kg is incorrect
It maybe incorrect, he has it as 6.7kg and according to Alugas it's 6.6kg, but we won't argue over 0.1kg ;)

Regards,
Del

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back