Alugas refillable used with exchange cylinder

I am not suggesting that the cylinders get filled to more than 80%, so here is more info for the sceptics out there, 2 litres of LPG weigh 1kg. 1 Make sure the cylinder is completely empty. 2 Attach the adaptor and open the cylinder valve, there is a non-return valve in the adaptor, connect the Autogas nozzle, when the cylinder is filled to the required amount of LPG, remove the pump nozzle, turn off the valve on the cylinder. 5 This golden rule applies to any size of cylinder, IE 6kg will be full when 12 litres of LPG are added and a 13kg cylinder will be full when 26 litres of gas are added, what ever size of cylinder you have this golden rule applies, so its very safe, except for the dummies out there who cant count, which group do you fall into ?
Furthermore I am a Welder to trade, I worked with high pressure gases in the course of my employment, I have worked in the Oil and Gas industry, Petro Chemical industry and Oil Rig Construction, as a Job Skills Trainer and Supervisor, on-shore and offshore, most of my working life, just because I retired does not mean I have forgot my training/trade or skills learned from my work experience, so you guys out there, go ahead keep paying through the nose, for your gas supplies, mind you some of the people I have met, I would not trust them to fill a watering can, so if your not confident in your abilities, do not attempt this procedure. Remember the Golden Rule 2 litres of LPG/Autogas weighs 1kg, this applies to any size of cylinder.
I rest my case

Last edited by a moderator:
1.96 litres of propane weighs 1 kilogram. Autogas can be a mixture of propane and butane, it varies considerably in different European countries. Before relying on a weight conversion you need to know the proportion of propane to butane and include the weight of the butane, which I think is lighter. Alternatively you could buy a safe refillable cylinder with the 80% cut off.

I am not a fan of Calor and their prices which is why I bought an Alugas cylinder. All Calor Cylinders are owned by Calor, we only rent them, so I guess they have the right to say how they are filled.

I am not suggesting that the cylinders get filled to more than 80%, so here is more info for the sceptics out there, 2 litres of LPG weigh 1kg. 1 Make sure the cylinder is completely empty. 2 Attach the adaptor and open the cylinder valve, there is a non-return valve in the adaptor, connect the Autogas nozzle, when the cylinder is filled to the required amount of LPG, remove the pump nozzle, turn off the valve on the cylinder. 5 This golden rule applies to any size of cylinder, IE 6kg will be full when 12 litres of LPG are added and a 13kg cylinder will be full when 26 litres of gas are added, what ever size of cylinder you have this golden rule applies, so its very safe, except for the dummies out there who cant count, which group do you fall into ?
Furthermore I am a Welder to trade, I worked with high pressure gases in the course of my employment, I have worked in the Oil and Gas industry, Petro Chemical industry and Oil Rig Construction, as a Job Skills Trainer and Supervisor, on-shore and offshore, most of my working life, just because I retired does not mean I have forgot my training/trade or skills learned from my work experience, so you guys out there, go ahead keep paying through the nose, for your gas supplies, mind you some of the people I have met, I would not trust them to fill a watering can, so if your not confident in your abilities, do not attempt this procedure. Remember the Golden Rule 2 litres of LPG/Autogas weighs 1kg, this applies to any size of cylinder.
I rest my case
As I said, I wasn’t making any judgment, just adding my two pen’oth. I’m happy with my Gasit set up, c/w safety cut off. I rest my case also .

Can we keep it civil please.

Paul

Paul you could get the two alugas bottles and then add a BBQ point after the regulator you could then use both refillables and then if you get a problem without lpg buy a French/ Spanish bottle with regulator that you connect to BBQ point via flexible hose that means you are able to put regulated gas into system and also withdraw gas for a gas BBQ

Andy,
I think you have described what I am trying to do, except I was going for one alugas (14kg if possible) and leaving the rest of the locker free. On the occasions where I maybe concerned about LPG availability then I will put in our calor bottle (or french bottle) as well.

The intention is to T off a quick connect bbq point after the regulator.

Paul

Andy,
I think you have described what I am trying to do, except I was going for one alugas (14kg if possible) and leaving the rest of the locker free. On the occasions where I maybe concerned about LPG availability then I will put in our calor bottle (or french bottle) as well.

The intention is to T off a quick connect bbq point after the regulator.

Paul
That would work perfect if you have a separate regulator on the xtra gas bottle, so use a bottle with regulator flexie hose to BBQ point.
Filling the refillable bottle will not fill the spare bottle as they are filled from a separate point, not the gas take off point on refillables

Calor LPG, the red ones, and before anyone says anything, NO its not illegal, its Just Calor that don't want you to do it, hits them in the pocket, its much cheaper, last time I filled a 13kg cylinder it was around £15, against £35 to buy a refill, you do the maths.

Sorry to burst your bubble. It is illegal to fill any cylinder without a physical 80% cutoff valve on a public forecourt. It has to be done with calibrated weighing equipment to ensure the cylinder is not overfilled. Not only is it illegal, it is also dangerous. Maybe read up a little...

https://www.flogas.co.uk/news/flogas-investigation-exposes-illegal-gas-cylinder-filling

Sorry to burst your bubble. It is illegal to fill any cylinder without a physical 80% cutoff valve on a public forecourt. It has to be done with calibrated weighing equipment to ensure the cylinder is not overfilled. Not only is it illegal, it is also dangerous. Maybe read up a little...

https://www.flogas.co.uk/news/flogas-investigation-exposes-illegal-gas-cylinder-filling

One of my concerns is that if people are filling the wrong type of cylinders they will start refusing to serve motorhomes, just like some Morrisons did a few years back. It only takes one numpty and one incident and they will come down on us all. It will not be a surprise if a selfish few create a problem for the rest of us.

I agree with the previous speakers.

I struggle to understand the logic of using one refillable and one calor bottle as a reserve, if you have space for two bottles why are you not fitting two refillable bottles with taps if you are worried about running out, both will fill from outside and you can use them 1 at a time if you want to so have plenty of gas all the time, and all of it cheaper than Calor. My system has 2 11kg bottles, fitted in the same locker that only took 2 6kg Calor bottles, albeit a close fit at the top, both have taps fitted, so I run one bottle to empty, close the tap , open second bottle, have 11kg and in excess of 1 week to find an LPG station in winter freezing conditions, and forever in summer.
I appreciate the fact that bottles cost money, but if you use your van in autumn, winter or spring the extra cost is soon made up in the savings over calor.
Nil the scrooge
Forgot to mention I have an 8.3 metre autotrail to heat in winter, a smaller van would take a lot less heating I think.

I struggle to understand the logic of using one refillable and one calor bottle as a reserve, if you have space for two bottles why are you not fitting two refillable bottles with taps if you are worried about running out, both will fill from outside and you can use them 1 at a time if you want to so have plenty of gas all the time, and all of it cheaper than Calor. My system has 2 11kg bottles, fitted in the same locker that only took 2 6kg Calor bottles, albeit a close fit at the top, both have taps fitted, so I run one bottle to empty, close the tap , open second bottle, have 11kg and in excess of 1 week to find an LPG station in winter freezing conditions, and forever in summer.
I appreciate the fact that bottles cost money, but if you use your van in autumn, winter or spring the extra cost is soon made up in the savings over calor.
Nil the scrooge
Forgot to mention I have an 8.3 metre autotrail to heat in winter, a smaller van would take a lot less heating I think.

My reason for having one refillable bottle and a Repsol bottle is because if I am set up on a site somewhere and run out of gas, I can get an exchange bottle easily without having to leave the pitch and drive to an LPG station to fill up. From what I have heard before coming to Spain, is that bottle gas exchange is actually cheaper than the refillable stuff. It works for me.

My reasoning is :

Only pay for one refillable.
I do not intend to carry a second bottle most of the time, so can save weight and liberate locker space.
When dependant on exchange bottles the requirement for the second calor bottle was as much about being able to completely empty a bottle before exchanging it, as it was about carrying the volume of gas.
11Kg of gas will in most circumstances last us well over a week. We rarely stay stationary for more than a couple of days so usually there will be the opportunity for a quick top up.
Having the ability to connect an exchange bottle I see as back up, for instance if I am going to an area with no or little LPG then I will take my 6kg calor with us as well.
As Mobilvetta says if you are on site for long periods it may be advantageous to use an exchange.

I think it just goes to show that different set ups suit different ways of using your moho.

Paul

Last edited:
Mobilvetta, now I understand why I don't understand, what's a site, is it one of those things I see covered with caravans and motorhomes with cars hanging on the back of them? I used them when in the dim and distant past when I owned a caravan, but since I have become enlightened and own a motorhome, I find the ability to park in quiet, scenic places far outweigh the advantages of EHU and other ammenities offered by such places. Not to say I have not and will not use a site, last year I spent 5 nights at Banham with some Wild Camping Club peeps, and this year I intend to spend 3 nights on Anglesey, going to RAF Valley event, with similar group of peeps, but much prefer to wild camp.
Being retired for the last 10 years and using the the van conversion and now the motorhome I can't see me using sites any more than I do atm, so the need for exchanging bottles is well gone, though i distinctly remember prior to having refillables fitted, running around north Scottish towns trying to find a 6kg lightweight bottle to replace my empty one, a few suppliers offered to exchange it for a standard 6kg bottle, but most looked sorta blank at me when I mentioned lightweight, this was about 7 or 8 years ago, and I am sure it will be better now, but it did help me to make the decision when we got the motorhome to get the refillable bottles fitted immediately.
May I just add don't take my jottings to seriously, poking fun at people is one of my hobbies.
Nil the impractical.

Nil the scrooge

There are some parts of Scotland where refilling lpg would involve a long drive. Also when I fitted my refillable system more than half the Autogas stations in the South and Southwest of England had run out and were unable to re-stock. I decided to keep the option of an exchange bottle to cover such eventualities and whilst I have not had to use it do not regret the decision.

To help you understand. One refillable bottle is half the price of two. When I bought my van it came with two 6kg calor bottles. I’ve put one in the garage at home, it’s empty. The other I take with me, full. I wanted a refillable, I’ve put in a 11kg, they are cheaper to fill. Now then, if I’m silly enough to run out of lpg in the Gasit bottle, I know I’ve got 6kg of calor as an emergency . The calor is to only be used in an emergency. You got that. Not difficult is it. Not trying to be sarcastic, but the tone of your thread does sound as you’re being difficult. Please note, I’ve put tone in italics, to emphasis how easy it is to get hold of the wrong end of the stick.
Stay safe, enjoy the forum, and use a bit of give n take.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back