Am I paying too much road tax? 3850kgs

I do not see the benefit in increasing the payload over 3500. The higher driving licence requirements means there would be less people interested in buying your Motorhome if you decided to sell. The saving of £95 or a tank and half of fuel or £8 per month does not seem worth it!

I do not see the benefit in increasing the payload over 3500. The higher driving licence requirements means there would be less people interested in buying your Motorhome if you decided to sell. The saving of £95 or a tank and half of fuel or £8 per month does not seem worth it!
The benefit is that you get a larger payload. You're only allowed to load your motorhome up to the registered maximum gross weight. So, if you have a motorhome with (say) an unladen weight of 3070 kg, you only have a 430 kg payload. Take a couple of adults off that (80 kg each) and you only have 270 kg. Now fill the fuel tank, fresh water tank and cassette flush tank. Add a few pots, pans, provisions and personal effects and you're overloaded. Get stopped at a VOSA check point and you risk being fined and having your van impounded (minimum penalty £100 + £80 release fee + having to leave stuff behind and other inconvenience).

Thanks for that explanation. On that basis there must be lots of Motorhome driving around overweight. One friend of mine has loads of fishing stuff, chairs, trolleys, bait, loads of provisions, roof boxes etc. He probably does not realise.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back