Annual mileage

GMJ

Just trying to get my head around something...

Hypothetically if a person had done their annual insurance mileage allowance of 8k they then need to top this up with their insurers. If they top up with say, 2k miles this will see them through until their next MOT when the records will show that they have done less than 10k miles in the MOT year.

However lets say their insurance is due in later in the year by which time they will have exceeded the 10k miles in the insurance year.

As the MOT date showed less than the 10k for the previous MOT year, is there any way that the insurer can check/prove that the 10k miles have been exceeded for the INSURANCE year?

ta

Graham

Me too.

NB wish I could spell 'annual'...could a Mod please amend the title so I don't look like a complete numpty? 😆

Ta

A few years back my insurance company charged me for going over it was £25 I was insured for 8000 when it came to renew they wanted an extra £80 to up the mileage so I left it at 8000 it was cheaper to pay the extra 😂 I am now insured through AIB so just upped my mileage when I changed companies.

Unless mot was within the current year and showed exceeded then I don’t see how it could be proved as they don’t request recorded mileage for quote or cover.
Unless you were with same insurer since purchase of van new or with previous owners declared mileage on DVLa or sale documents! And they checked previous years declared mileages, but then it could have been a previous year exceeded not current.

Reactions: GMJ
Unless mot was within the current year and showed exceeded then I don’t see how it could be proved as they don’t request recorded mileage for quote or cover.
Unless you were with same insurer since purchase of van new or with previous owners declared mileage on DVLa or sale documents! And they checked previous years declared mileages, but then it could have been a previous year exceeded not current.
My previous insurer sent me a mileage declaration form when I first took out the insurance to fill in with current mileage and at renewal they took the mileage again.

Mine doesn't do that so they could only use the MOT to check I guess...

Graham

Me too.

NB wish I could spell 'annual'...could a Mod please amend the title so I don't look like a complete numpty? 😆

Ta

Use the drop down beside the report button to edit!😀

Reactions: GMJ
Nice one - I hadnt spotted that

Some kind soul did it for me though

ta

G

I always wondered how they would be able to properly check on mileage, sounds a bit hit and miss!
We moved to France a few years ago and bought a new motorhome and used car last year. We had unlimited mileage on the motorhome, but the limited mileage policy was cheaper for the car. So, how do they keep a check on the mileage? Simple. We had to take it to a recommended garage and they certified the mileage and sent it to the insurance company.
After the first year, we had exceeded our mileage ( we were allowed 10%) but I just had to tell them. No extra to pay, but we had an unlimited mileage policy the next year.

Mine doesn't do that so they could only use the MOT to check I guess...

Graham
Mine doesn't either and I am on a mileage limited policy, as I said earlier they paid out without any problems

My insurance won't allow anyone except named drivers use it. Most insurances don't allow for driving other vehicles now unless you pay extra. It is something that they have taken off the policies without telling you. I found I had been driving my sons car for 12 months without insurance and my son had been driving Moho.

My insurance won't allow anyone except named drivers use it. Most insurances don't allow for driving other vehicles now unless you pay extra.
All (or most) insurance certificates say they cover the policy holder and named drivers only but if someone is driving your vehicle on their insurance and not yours it has nothing to do with your insurance company, it is your vehicle not theirs to decide if you want to let someone else drive it, they will not be covered on your insurance though obviously.
Saga still cover for driving other vehicles, our motorhome is insured by my Wife with me as a named driver, Saga cover the policy holder and the named driver to drive other vehicles

My insurance won't allow anyone except named drivers use it. Most insurances don't allow for driving other vehicles now unless you pay extra. It is something that they have taken off the policies without telling you. I found I had been driving my sons car for 12 months without insurance and my son had been driving Moho.
My car insurance lets me drive other people's vehicles, but my motorhome insurance doesn't. Or at least it didn't when I last checked, but I've renewed since. Neither policy covers anyone else driving.
The point is that some other people could legally drive my motorhome on their insurance, although that driving would not be covered by my insurance. But it would still change the odometer reading.

A point to remember if anyone is driving someone else’s vehicle on their insurance it’s only third party insurance.

Alf

My car insurance lets me drive other people's vehicles, but my motorhome insurance doesn't. Or at least it didn't when I last checked, but I've renewed since. Neither policy covers anyone else driving.
The point is that some other people could legally drive my motorhome on their insurance, although that driving would not be covered by my insurance. But it would still change the odometer reading.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back