Annual Vaccination in Dogs

Lorraine

Rally Organiser

Some years ago Jeff & I had a Parson Jack Russell Named Elle May (Girl Dog) I had her inoculated every year until she was 7 years with a 1 year gap, about the age of 2 years she started getting lumps all over her stomach, the Vet treated it with steroids stipulating it was as a grass allergy, it occurred around spring time, it took a further 3 years to think that it always seemed to appear just after being yearly inoculated, so we decided not to have her yearly booster and no allergy appeared, the year after we had the booster and sure enough the allergy reappeared, so we never had her inoculated again, by the age of 12 years we moved, so therefore got a different Vet, because she was getting older we had regular health checks, when she was about 16 years we had an appointment with a different Vet at the practice that we normally have, he mentioned that she should be inoculated because is more likely to die as she is older, we said that we think she has lived longer than most without the yearly booster, a week or so later she had to visit the vets, getting the Vet we normally have, mentioning what the other Vet had said, our usual Vet mentioned that he had no right to say anything against our wishes. She lived to 5 months short of the age 18 years

Over the Easter Break at Camperfest Chester Race Course, while sitting in conversation with Kimbowbill yearly vaccination was mentioned (NOT THE COARSE OF INJECTIONS ALL PUPPIES HAVE - THIS MUST BE CARRIED OUT), She mentioned that trials are being carried out referring to the the yearly booster, too look online, as yet I havn't looked deep but I have found one article

I know one or two of you have had unexplainable complications - you never know

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/annual-dog-vaccines-are-they-necessary/

I don't believe in annual boosters. The dogs get all their jabs as puppies then a booster at 12 months old ... that's it.

Everyone to their own opinion but even some Vets don't recommend a booster every 12 months for life.

Some years ago Jeff & I had a Parson Jack Russell Named Elle May (Girl Dog) I had her inoculated every year until she was 7 years with a 1 year gap, about the age of 2 years she started getting lumps all over her stomach, the Vet treated it with steroids stipulating it was as a grass allergy, it occurred around spring time, it took a further 3 years to think that it always seemed to appear just after being yearly inoculated, so we decided not to have her yearly booster and no allergy appeared, the year after we had the booster and sure enough the allergy reappeared, so we never had her inoculated again, by the age of 12 years we moved, so therefore got a different Vet, because she was getting older we had regular health checks, when she was about 16 years we had an appointment with a different Vet at the practice that we normally have, he mentioned that she should be inoculated because is more likely to die as she is older, we said that we think she has lived longer than most without the yearly booster, a week or so later she had to visit the vets, getting the Vet we normally have, mentioning what the other Vet had said, our usual Vet mentioned that he had no right to say anything against our wishes. She lived to 5 months short of the age 18 years

Over the Easter Break at Camperfest Chester Race Course, while sitting in conversation with Kimbowbill yearly vaccination was mentioned (NOT THE COARSE OF INJECTIONS ALL PUPPIES HAVE - THIS MUST BE CARRIED OUT), She mentioned that trials are being carried out referring to the the yearly booster, too look online, as yet I havn't looked deep but I have found one article

I know one or two of you have had unexplainable complications - you never know

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/annual-dog-vaccines-are-they-necessary/
The couple I bought my last English bullterrier from were fortunate that they had a friend who worked in an animal research lab and he checked their dogs blood for the relevant antibodies every year and surprise surprise they were always there year on year after they had the initial vaccinations as pups. Another money making scam I reckon.
My neighbour lost his Jack Russel 2 years ago at 16 years old. Only visited the vets twice, first time as a pup for vaccinations second time to be put down due to heart failure.

Our last dog was just short of her being 18 and she never had the booster injections

I think most vets phase boosters now, rather than annual. You can pay to get your own antibody blood tests done.
When we got Oscar aged 2.5 we had to start from scratch with puppy jabs ... previous owner was unable to give us his records. He must have had them as he was a show dog. Not good to give him a second lot of these but we had no choice.

Only ever had the puppy vaccinations done, never had any problems. 2 lived to 16 and one died at 12 with heart problems

Interesting reading as we have a 4 month old puppy, but what about foreign travel with her as she will need an up to date pet passport showing all the relevant inoculations

I wondered about that - but the passport doesn't show the annual vaccinations, just the rabies one and the worming tablets.

What I find interesting is the rabies one - in the UK we give it every 3 years but I have been told the rest of the EU give it yearly. That's why, with Brexit, we have to have the tests to make sure it is still working.

I wondered about that - but the passport doesn't show the annual vaccinations, just the rabies one and the worming tablets.

What I find interesting is the rabies one - in the UK we give it every 3 years but I have been told the rest of the EU give it yearly. That's why, with Brexit, we have to have the tests to make sure it is still working.

Poppy’s passport is her primary health record and includes all routine jabs and treatments including annual boosters - on the other vaccinations pages, rabies, tapeworm treatmentsand the “just in case” additional rabies serological blood test report in case of no deal Brexit.

914FDD5E-D4C2-430A-804A-3B77299AEC7C.jpeg16C3739C-133A-43D9-8325-F795D4AA572C.jpeg

Interesting reading as we have a 4 month old puppy, but what about foreign travel with her as she will need an up to date pet passport showing all the relevant inoculations
Roxy passport does not aft to have up to date inoculations but it does have to show Rabbies injection every 3 years redone, but what the Brexit will advise I don't know

We have always gone for the annual jabs, and always will.

We decided not to insure about 10 years ago with just the one dog, then got another and didn’t insure either. About 4 years ago one dog got sick and she cost several thousand pounds to treat, sadly she died a while later.

We got another youngster (Molly in the avatar) to be with our older collie, about a month after we got her the collie became ill. We had already insured Molly by the way. The collie was diagnosed with bone cancer in a rear leg. She was operated on to remove it and had chemo. The prognosis wasn’t great, we knew her life expectancy was 6-12 months at best, but we did everything possible to make her life as good as we could for as long as she had left. She lasted 19 months and up until the last day she was still playing and running around as if she had 4 legs. I don’t remember how much the treatment was in total, 3,4,5 thousand perhaps?

I don’t begrudge a single penny, but a great deal of it could have been paid by insurance if we’d got it.

So, as said above, annual jabs, every medication necessary, and fully insured. When there is a positive decision reached about Brexit (if ?) and we next go abroad, then she’ll be jabbed as needed regardless of cost.

We live in France, our dog has his rabies booster every three years.
I think it recently changed, so it’s the same as the UK.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back