Another breakthrough.

Campervanannie

As some members will know I have had some not very welll equipped vans in the past I have now had my lovely well made Rapido coming up to 2 years now but I have never run the heating apart from an odd 15 mins to take the chill off on some exceptionally cold evenings and mornings after a long conversation with Phil sat round the fire last night it appears I have firstly a fear of dead leisure batteries and secondly a fear of ruining my reputation as a hard northern wildcampers that has already betrayed the inner me by buying a motorhome to start with instead of sticking with my self builds and small campers, anyhow as I was out on the road with the all singing all dancing 12v Guru and he assured me that all would be well with my system and I wouldn’t wake up to alarms going off telling me I had killed my batteries and my solar could not cope as it’s winter and I could if all else fails run my engine and top up my batteries.
Well I did it I turned my heating on at about 8.45 last night it’s now 8.54 and it’s been on low for 12 hours Taya ( the dog for those that do not know ) and I woke up to a balmy 12 deg this morning -1 outside Taya was so impressed she was spread eagled on her back on top of the covers instead of curled up into a ball under the covers and my batteries are showing 80% full and I’m going to leave it on all day I fear now my gas consumption will rise from 7/8 litres over 8 days but as I have 40 something at my disposal it’s win win there is a but to all this I would appreciate nobody mentioning this to Mr Campervanannie (Bill) as he may want to play out a lot more often and bring forward his retirement date which is pencilled in for his 68th birthday ????

Your secret is safe with us Annie and no-one would ever dare call you soft anyway :eek:
I can relate to the worry about running out of leccy but you never know until you try and it was never going to be the end of the world while the engine still works. Enjoy the luxury - you've earned it (y)

As some members will know I have had some not very welll equipped vans in the past I have now had my lovely well made Rapido coming up to 2 years now but I have never run the heating apart from an odd 15 mins to take the chill off on some exceptionally cold evenings and mornings after a long conversation with Phil sat round the fire last night it appears I have firstly a fear of dead leisure batteries and secondly a fear of ruining my reputation as a hard northern wildcampers that has already betrayed the inner me by buying a motorhome to start with instead of sticking with my self builds and small campers, anyhow as I was out on the road with the all singing all dancing 12v Guru and he assured me that all would be well with my system and I wouldn’t wake up to alarms going off telling me I had killed my batteries and my solar could not cope as it’s winter and I could if all else fails run my engine and top up my batteries.
Well I did it I turned my heating on at about 8.45 last night it’s now 8.54 and it’s been on low for 12 hours Taya ( the dog for those that do not know ) and I woke up to a balmy 12 deg this morning -1 outside Taya was so impressed she was spread eagled on her back on top of the covers instead of curled up into a ball under the covers and my batteries are showing 80% full and I’m going to leave it on all day I fear now my gas consumption will rise from 7/8 litres over 8 days but as I have 40 something at my disposal it’s win win there is a but to all this I would appreciate nobody mentioning this to Mr Campervanannie (Bill) as he may want to play out a lot more often and bring forward his retirement date which is pencilled in for his 68th birthday ????

Annie what’s it worth to keep schtumm? :unsure:??

Hi Annie. I believe inside every hard northerner is a tiny little bit of us soft southerners. Besides I always believed that the south was better till a few years ago when I went north Had to change a lot of my thoughts after that. Lovely friendly,,,,,, bit sorry when had to return south

I like being warm when were away ....cold in a van of any kind is a miserable experience IMHO ....and i dont go away to be miserable ....

I love the eberspacher in the Transit as its push button comfort and just fit and forget .

The Trumatic gas fire in the swift is loverly BUT will be joined by another eberspacher soon so I can happily leave it running none stop for two weeks like we did last Xmas/New year in the snow and frost and forget about the gas consumption (yes i know it'll use diesel BUT previous experience showed it was at a almost un noticeable rate )

Next Breakthrough is to move "Down Souf" Less heating needed !
But Everything else costs more !
Maybe go to the Midlands in preparation

Well the little bit of sunshine we have here at Stonehenge has but my batteries back up to 94% at the moment and guess what my heater is still on ???? and it’s now 14% in my van positively tropical ??

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back