Anti-freeze valve

Lemut

Free Member

Hi All,
Any thoughts on this one?

Just been away in the UK and on our last night the drain/ anti-freeze valve on our Burstner decided we had had enough tea and dumped the water tank contents during the night. The tank is internal and I had left the seat up so warm air in the van could circulate around the tank and I had hoped valve. To the best of my knowledge the temp did not drop lower than 19c in the living area. It was -1 outside with low wind speeds but my walking uncomfortable alarm never triggered which as far as I am concerned confirms the steady cabin temperature.

Any thoughts on how I can stop this happening again ? I would rather not exchange the valve if possible as having looked at it, I would need to take a course in gynaecology to get at it.

Cheers guys.

This is almost certainly the drop valve which is there to protect the boiler/heater and activates at a relatively high 2c. People usually put a peg or a cable strap on the top of the plunger to hold it in place. If it looks like this you pull up the red plunger and stick a clothes peg on it. I don't know about the newer ones with the blue parts.

1642707499804.jpeg

Cheers

H

Last edited:
Heres a pic of one don't know to stop it but have seen it illustrated on here by Garth
Screenshot (2).png

Hi H,
Mmm peg it? I'll have a look if I can 'peg it' in some way but just My luck it's a blue one and Burstner bless um have made it so the button fits flush and interlocks with the twist drain knob to seal the system.
I have a feeling a valve on the end of the drain pipe may be needed.
H, what are the cables for on the valve in you picture? Remote drain trigger?
I'll have another look at mine tomorrow and post a picture so anyone interested can see the thing and hopefully come up with a better idea than mine so far.

Hi H,

First sorry mate, forgot to say thank you for you input. Wrist slapped.

The second picture looks spot on for what I have but just imagine it 8" down at the bottom of a 3" tube. Good game, good game.

Cheers H

Heres a pic of one don't know to stop it but have seen it illustrated on here by Garth
View attachment 61970
This one on my Burstner is located next to a wall, and so to block from releasing the water I have put a small piece of wood to keep the circular blue piece from coming out. Not easy with the one illustrated

Hi Simon,
Having just had a close look at my setup your suggestion of a block of wood may work for me.
Looking closely at my water tank area it looks like Burstner may have dropped a hint of this fix with the sawdust they have left.
Also the warning sticker points to a +6c dump temperature! Almost a summers day in the UK.
Burstner 'blue' anti-freeze-drain valve.jpg
Thanks again everyone for your suggestions and help and I think I may have a fix now.
Now where did I put the tea bags..........
Cheers,

Graham

Hi All,
Any thoughts on this one?

Just been away in the UK and on our last night the drain/ anti-freeze valve on our Burstner decided we had had enough tea and dumped the water tank contents during the night. The tank is internal and I had left the seat up so warm air in the van could circulate around the tank and I had hoped valve. To the best of my knowledge the temp did not drop lower than 19c in the living area. It was -1 outside with low wind speeds but my walking uncomfortable alarm never triggered which as far as I am concerned confirms the steady cabin temperature.

Any thoughts on how I can stop this happening again ? I would rather not exchange the valve if possible as having looked at it, I would need to take a course in gynaecology to get at it.

Cheers guys.
We have Burstner Ixeo IT590 and have the Blue Frost Protection Valve. We had around 25 Litres left in the Fresh Water Tank after a trip that finished at Tuesday lunchtime, and I hadn't got round to emptying it [use it for washing theM/Home]. At 3am today, whilst on the loo run, I noticed that we had an air frost covering the car that's parked next to the Burstner [which had had the heating turned off for about 60 hours at that stage], so I expected the Valve to open and dump the water, as it has done a couple of times during the last month. Not a bit of it! Valve closed, despite a daylight temperature of about 5 degrees, and a decided chilly feel when I opened the Hab door this morning!

Steve

Preventing operation of the dump valve may prove to be an expensive solution if the hot water system freezes. Did you leave the heating on overnight? I have found (when using the moho) that leaving the heating on overnight (with the thermostat set quite low) is the way to avoid operation of the dump valve, the heater being located relatively close to the valve.

Preventing operation of the dump valve may prove to be an expensive solution if the hot water system freezes. Did you leave the heating on overnight? I have found (when using the moho) that leaving the heating on overnight (with the thermostat set quite low) is the way to avoid operation of the dump valve, the heater being located relatively close to the valve.
Take your point about the freezing issue. However, the heating was on over night. Max /Min showed a steady 19c and our heater is on the other side of the habitation area. Both the Truma and water tank in our 727 are fitted internally under the benches taking nicely up all the storage space in the area which is another story.

We have Burstner Ixeo IT590 and have the Blue Frost Protection Valve. We had around 25 Litres left in the Fresh Water Tank after a trip that finished at Tuesday lunchtime, and I hadn't got round to emptying it [use it for washing theM/Home]. At 3am today, whilst on the loo run, I noticed that we had an air frost covering the car that's parked next to the Burstner [which had had the heating turned off for about 60 hours at that stage], so I expected the Valve to open and dump the water, as it has done a couple of times during the last month. Not a bit of it! Valve closed, despite a daylight temperature of about 5 degrees, and a decided chilly feel when I opened the Hab door this morning!

Steve
Hi Steve,
Underlaying all of this are my ancient schooling memories saying water can freeze solid at 0c (unless its moving). 6c stated looks like a heck of margin for safety and yours not triggering at 5c looks to prove this? Could be Burstner covering their backs for not being able to fit a unit with tight tolerances. Given my van is supposed to be winterised, it makes you, well it does me, think about that boast.
Cheers mate,
G

Quite right, I should have mentioned don’t do as I do, as it’s not exactly right and proper. But having lost a couple of loads of water just prior to a trip I felt I had to come up with a solution. Hands up if I cock something up but it’s my error.

Quite right, I should have mentioned don’t do as I do, as it’s not exactly right and proper. But having lost a couple of loads of water just prior to a trip I felt I had to come up with a solution. Hands up if I cock something up but it’s my error.
Simon,
All I will say is thank you again and I'm whittling a bit of wood (y).
If we are not heated and I see a possible dip on the forecast or I'm not going to be around, I'll pull the plug.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back