Any fridge experts?

funkyronster

I have a two year old Dometic fridge, which works perfectly except for one thing - the freezer ices up constantly.

I have been told that this is usually due to moisture in the air getting into the freezer, but I have closely inspected the seals and door hinges and all are in good condition.

I have defrosted the fridge many times, leaving the inside dry and clean, but always within a few days ice starts to appear on the elements. See photo.

The rest of the fridge is fine - I get little or no ice on the element in the main compartment. I have progressively reduced the thermostat to almost the minimum but to no avail. It is the same on 220v or gas.

Any ideas?

IMG_8194.JPG

I have a two year old Dometic fridge, which works perfectly except for one thing - the freezer ices up constantly.

I have been told that this is usually due to moisture in the air getting into the freezer, but I have closely inspected the seals and door hinges and all are in good condition.

I have defrosted the fridge many times, leaving the inside dry and clean, but always within a few days ice starts to appear on the elements. See photo.

The rest of the fridge is fine - I get little or no ice on the element in the main compartment. I have progressively reduced the thermostat to almost the minimum but to no avail. It is the same on 220v or gas.

Any ideas?
I could be too much cold air outside so a cover may help. Richie.

I could be too much cold air outside so a cover may help. Richie.
Thanks Richie - I've just spent the winter in Spain - not much cold air there!

I am wondering if it is getting too cold, but I don't think so - it takes all night to make ice, and frozen stuff stays frozen ok, not too frozen. Only when the ice builds up does the frozen stuff start to defrost.

Next time it's parked up at home,run it for a few days without opening the door,that will tell you if it's just drawing in moisture from opening the door during the day or if it's actually a problem with the fridge.

From the Dometic website, are you certain the fridge door is closing properly? They suggest putting a torch in the fridge and if you can see light round the door joint then it's not closing fully. There is usually a setting where the door can be kept slightly ajar so that it is aired when not in use. Check that's not causing any obstruction.

You've turned the thermostat down so that's not it, but air must be getting in somehow.

Any ideas?

View attachment 44598
Sounds like thermostat problem to me , if it gets could and freezing up or door seal, put a temperature gauge in and check reeding every hour ! Can you hear click from thermostat if you turn it to higher setings

Don't dometic fridges come with a 3 year warranty . contact domestic for advice.

Try
thedometicguy.com
BUT first.....

I had a problem last year whilst travelling in 34deg C, with my thermistor which just by the light in the fridge. This web site may have an answer for you, but I would initially try disconnecting the thermistor and then re attaching. It turned out that the connection on my domestic fridge had come loose.

The thermistor is next to the fridge light and is just a small white square plug in connector and in mine has 2wires connected to it.
I understand a thermistor is a combined thermostat and resistor? sorry if I’m wrong.

I would attach a photo for you but am away with a limited signal. Let me know if you still have a problem and I will post a photo when I am home in 10 days

Good luck

When we had trouble in the caravan with our fridge doing that it was the carpet it was not letting the door close properly plus we found a very small hair line crack in the door of the freezer

I am not a "fridge expert" but just looking at it logically , it can only be moist air entering the compartment , either via the door seal , or thru a gasket on the rear of the fridge . By virtue of the fact that its a freezer compartment it cant be a function of the actual temp as to work it must be below freezing water temperature. The seal is important as otherwise you have a unlimited supply of moisture in the air, with good seals this is finite amount and takes a long time to build up . JMHO

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back