Any idea what a Foilpoint transformer is doing in my Moho?

Alice1

Free Member

I’ve just found this under the bed in the Truma water heater compartment of our 2004 Burstner T-star 680. It’s not listed as an original fit as far as I can tell. Researching the net suggests it’s a transformer (230V ac to [possibly] 20-22-24V dc) It has connection to the mains EHU System. 3 blue wires, 2 brown & 1 black coming from it and disappearing under the floor. I’m flummoxed as to what it can be for. Anyone help please? Oh, and I haven’t turned it on so don’t know if it’s functional, nor do I want a burnt out motorhome 😜.
53E9A0AA-21AB-472A-BA6C-88B087A07ADE.jpeg5084E7C7-BC57-4D25-B231-3B6A635C7FDF.jpegB85389BF-1023-4CED-A63A-DE2FC96EF512.jpeg

Underfloor heating?

Copied from An other forum....

has anyone got underfloor heating? i own a 2005 burstner t-710 with an underfloor heating system installed. the manufacturer is FOILPOINT, i dont have an instruction manual for this unit, it has a four position switch on the top, the first position is 0 (i presume this is off) the 2nd position is 20volts, the 3rd position is 22volts and the 4th position is 24volts, there is also what looks like a reset button in a clear rubber dome next to the switch, the problem is that whatever position i try the switch in the floor does not appear to heat up, there is no light built into the unit to tell you that its actually on?Has anyone got one of these units, if so what position should i have the switch in and does it actually warm the floor up well?
Thanks

Well, that sounds interesting! It’s similar to what I’m seeing. I suppose the only thing to do is to hook up and turn the switch, take my shoes off and feel the floor then!! Our motorhome is of a similar age and of the same marque, so you never know. I’ll give it a try in the morning and see if anything happens. If I don’t post anything it’s probably because it’s “red to black; black to red; blue to b*****y” as the old electrical saying goes!😂

I wonder if it is a winterisation measure. Are there any heating pads attached to the fresh and waste water tanks underneath?

Hi we have a Burstner Nexxo 650. 2008. I would say you have underfloor heating. When we bought the MOHO the dealer said that it was working and was mildly surprised it was as they are notorious for underfloor pads failing.
It is a very useful background heat that supplements the Truma. It is only useable on EHU. Ours gets quite warm where we have placed any mats on the floor and it is best used without floor coverings.
A laser thermometer (ebay £15) can help you pinpoint warm and cold areas quite accurately. I was advised that the correct fuse rating should not be exceeded as when areas fail the remaining areas get more current. It is likely that if a fuse (of the correct rating) blows then there are more than 50% of the underfloor panels still good and you should abandon its use. Probably uneconomical to repair.
I hope that helps, this is not an expert speaking just passing on what I have gleaned.
The voltages are likely to equate to low/med/high.

There is more information on this system here:

Hope this helps!

Jerry

Well I took the plunge this morning and switched it on (connected to EHU). No bang, no electrical shock either, so far so good. The unit started humming so it was doing something. After about 20 minutes I noticed the carpet in the kitchen area was getting warm so I lifted the carpet & yes the floor was indeed warm. The warm area runs from just in front of the fridge forwards to the cab area. Nothing in the bathroom ☹️ and nothing under the table either. However mystery is solved! Thanks to all for your help. Life’s full of surprises!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back