Anybody seen these.

TissyD

Snail.jpgCan anyone help please? I spotted this snail on our garden wall the other night, At first I thought that someone had put paint on it but on closer look it seems as if it is the white is natural colouring,

The layer is called the Periostracum and is composed largely of protein structures. I have never actually considered the snail shell to be a "permeable membrane" but maybe since this outside layer was able to deteriorate due to some issue, maybe it can regenerate? I will see if I can find a source which explains if this layer is being constantly secreted through the shell

Once this layer of shell is gone, it won't grow back, it is secreted by the mantle when the shell is first laid down. The snail can heal shell damage from the inside, anywhere on the shell, but not replace this layer.

It won't harm them to lose the top layer, except they may be more suceptable to acid damage

Dead snails lose this layer of shell because they are laying out in the open and exposed to the elements; it wears away over time, older snails will have significantly more wear especially wild snails living in a rougher environment.

Last edited:
Woz not L'Escargot a racehorse....?
loadsameat.
Should this now be moved to the French food thread.
Who was that famous old french crooner "Maurice Chevalier"
Or in English "Morris the jockey"

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back