Anyone know the following about Fiat Ducatos?

wildebus

2009 Fiat Ducato, 2.8L JTD diesel engine - As used for Coachbuilt Motorhome. Would that have cab air-con as standard? Or typically fitted?

Also - what is that engine like generally (when fitted with 5-speed manual)?

I had a 2004 2.8 jtd engine and the van had air con as standard ( was an IH conversion).
The engine was great for me, plenty torque giving enough grunt to stick it fourth (was a 5 speed manual) and just bowl along the B roads as if it was an auto. Smooth gear changes not a noisy engine. Nothing went wrong in 100000 miles I did in it so cannot complain.
Now the bodywork was another story, but you didnt ask about that eh?
K ;)

Mine is a 2001 2.8JTD so it might not be revelant but it pulls like a train, returns 32mpg but I don't drive it too hard, cab air-con is fitted and works well, I have a tuning box fitted and the extra power is unbelieveable

I had a 2003 2.8jtd. No air con fitted. I hated the 5 speed gearbox, the top gear made it very difficult to maintain a sensible speed, it was always up and down the box on meeting a slight hill. This is despite being remapped from 130 to 160. I had a 3850kg unit. The clutch is a weak area. I felt that overall it was very agricultural.

I was very pleased to make the change to a 2.3 130 6speed after owning it for 3 years or so.

2009 Fiat Ducato, 2.8L JTD diesel engine - As used for Coachbuilt Motorhome. Would that have cab air-con as standard? Or typically fitted?

Also - what is that engine like generally (when fitted with 5-speed manual)?
I'm pretty sure, that the 2.8 JTD diesel engine, was phased out, in 2006, so, presumably, 2006, was the last year of manufacture, of this engine.
Any motorhome, registered in 2009, would almost certainly have a 2006 engine.

I'm pretty sure, that the 2.8 JTD diesel engine, was phased out, in 2006, so, presumably, 2006, was the last year of manufacture, of this engine.
Any motorhome, registered in 2009, would almost certainly have a 2006 engine.
Your knowledge on these is clearly better than mine :)
I have just checked and the engine in the vehicle in question is actually a 3.0L, which I guess is what the 2.8L was replaced with in 2006?
(the vehicle does have A/C as well, so that one is confirmed also)

Now you’re talking, the 3.0 bears no comparison to the 2.8jtd. as it is also chain drive not belt drive cam.

Now you’re talking, the 3.0 bears no comparison to the 2.8jtd. as it is also chain drive not belt drive cam.
So you like that engine then? As I understand it a chain drive engine never needs any kind of chain change unlike timing belt ones?

So you like that engine then? As I understand it a chain drive engine never needs any kind of chain change unlike timing belt ones?
Never say never. On the Mercedes 2.9 people seem to replace the chain at around 150,000 miles. Not sure if that's necessary.

Never say never. On the Mercedes 2.9 people seem to replace the chain at around 150,000 miles. Not sure if that's necessary.
I think the annoying things with timing belts is when they are age-limited as well as mileage - I think my last one had maybe 8,000 miles on it only.

I have had 3 2. 8 J T Ds no problems with the engines at all first 2 no air con but my present Chausson has it so I guess it is an extra my van bought used had it fitted when I got it ,all my van's did around 30 mpg one was a tag axle Hymer I always change the engine oil and filters at every 5000 miles as a norm great engines all 5 speed manuals mine, needed a new clutch on the Hymer in Portugal 1200 Euros that cost but a Fiat main dealer had 4 nights in an Hotel on the breakdown at Beja so that was good I had a stainless steel exhaust system fitted on my present van and was told that I would notice the difference in power yeah right I thought but Wow there is a difference in performance, the system has one less silencer box than the original , was a bit worried about that initially but it has passed 2 MOTs since it was fitted so it must be ok, sails through the emission tests too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back