anyone near Anglesey/North Wales can exchange my thermocouple?

NicsTricks

Hi guys,

I'm trying since March to get it put in. Had one mobile mechanic who stated that's the problem with the dometic fridge but since then all of the caravan repairers won't answer the phone or if they do haven't got any time for a small job they say.Watched a YouTube but wary cos it's to do with gas or can anyone able do it? 🤔
Only bought the cheap one from ebay though. But it did state it would fit my model.
Even if you could recommend someone I could call?
Thanks 😊

If you can get to one of the rallies I am sure someone will look at it for you, that is the thermal coupling only, as the gas side of things have to be done by a gas qualified person (y)

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I'm trying since March to get it put in. Had one mobile mechanic who stated that's the problem with the dometic fridge but since then all of the caravan repairers won't answer the phone or if they do haven't got any time for a small job they say.Watched a YouTube but wary cos it's to do with gas or can anyone able do it? 🤔
Only bought the cheap one from ebay though. But it did state it would fit my model.
Thanks 😊
This is the rules for caravans ect read the gas section then think where’s the training required for gas ..

Gas Training​

Quite simply, gas can be lethal if not handled correctly. Gas burning equipment is not just a fire hazard; escaping gas is harmful and incorrect burning appliances can lead to CO poisoning. Therefore, anyone working with gas must legally be able to demonstrate competence in handling gas, both for their own safety and the safety of their customers.

Unlike in your home or in an office, caravan service technicians do not have to be Gas Safe registered. They do not need the same high-level of training as domestic boiler engineers do, for example. Why? On a simple habitation service, the gas infrastructure is less to work with; additionally, the caravan industry is able to take advantage of the fact that privately owned touring caravans and motorhomes are not classed as a domestic dwelling or business premises.

This is a handy benefit to our industry as the level of competence required to work with gas is less expensive and the duration of the training is considerably shorter. This means less time away from work on courses for you or your employees.

So what do you need? You need to have what is referred to as STGW (Standards of Training in Gas Work) gas competence. It is possible to approach your local gas centre for this training; however, the advantage of taking an NCC Academy course is that we ensure your training is strictly relevant to the work you will be doing, no unnecessary modules included or essential ones missed out. It is also guaranteed to meet the requirements for the AWS scheme. You can then be assured that you know what you are doing and meet your legal obligation to demonstrate competence to work with gas on touring caravans and motorhomes.

Please

I wouldn't trust the NCC for anything, they write their own rules regardless of best practice or not. Unless it has changed very recently that is.

If you want legit gas work use a Gas Safe registered person with LPG component, (it isn't called that but I forget the proper name). That said you only have to use them if you hire out your motorhome/campervan.

Only the individual knows if they are competent enough to undertake the work although that is when its for yourself. Regardless of the fact there is no legislation for private vehicles (not hired) you can still be held liable if anyone is killed or injured by work you do.

I am fairly sure I am competent enough to do my own gas work (if I can physically get to it) but I am fortunate to have a good friend who does it for me :)

Most people with a little care should be able to change a thermocouple

If you can get to one of the rallies I am sure someone will look at it for you, that is the thermal coupling only, as the gas side of things have to be done by a gas qualified person (y)
doesn't look likely, all quite far from me o_O

I wouldn't trust the NCC for anything, they write their own rules regardless of best practice or not. Unless it has changed very recently that is.

If you want legit gas work use a Gas Safe registered person with LPG component, (it isn't called that but I forget the proper name). That said you only have to use them if you hire out your motorhome/campervan.

Only the individual knows if they are competent enough to undertake the work although that is when its for yourself. Regardless of the fact there is no legislation for private vehicles (not hired) you can still be held liable if anyone is killed or injured by work you do.

I am fairly sure I am competent enough to do my own gas work (if I can physically get to it) but I am fortunate to have a good friend who does it for me :)

Danke schön!!! That's real good to know - got a friend who's very handy and he'd seen the vid on youtube thinking it shouldn't be that difficult. I was a bit wary but feel reassured now. Otherwise there wouldn't be so much material out there to diy would it :) cheers mate!

I wouldn't say anyone could do a good job as I have seen some real ham fisted folks lol A thermocouple should be good though, like Jeff says if you can get to a meet, (or if someone is close by) you may get it changed :)

The legislation regarding competent person means you must have completed training on the required elements, that said it’s only relevant if you are installing or breaking a gas joint thus requiring testing etc is not normally the case to renew a thermocouple,

Hi guys,

Thanks 😊
Anyone who fixes caravans or motorhomes.

Basically, the thermocouple is an electric device, not a gas one. The probe end points into the flame and sends an electric signal to the other end. Replacing it does not disrupt any gas system.

In addition, there are no legal limits on DIY gas work on a motorhome, unless it is rented out or used for staff accommodation. Perhaps there should be.

You can buy a universal thermocouple from screwfix for £6.67 and fit it yourself, or keep it as a spare part to get someone to fit if and when needed.

I'm not saying all thermocouples are the same, but as long as it is long enough, my experience is that the standard cheap ones always do the job.

Anyone who fixes caravans or motorhomes.

Basically, the thermocouple is an electric device, not a gas one. The probe end points into the flame and sends an electric signal to the other end. Replacing it does not disrupt any gas system.

In addition, there are no legal limits on DIY gas work on a motorhome, unless it is rented out or used for staff accommodation. Perhaps there should be.

You can buy a universal thermocouple from screwfix for £6.67 and fit it yourself, or keep it as a spare part to get someone to fit if and when needed.

I'm not saying all thermocouples are the same, but as long as it is long enough, my experience is that the standard cheap ones always do the job.
you're an absolute star!!!! :D

Liebe Nichts Tricks! Ich habe als Britische soldat (auch als die kind vom einer) in NRWF gewohnt.
I have to stop trying to type in German, it's driving my autocorrect veruckt!
I hope our paths cross, I really like trying to remember how to speak German!

Da komme ich auch her! 😁 Wie schön dich hier zu treffen und hoffentlich auch mal persönlich 😊 Liebe Grüße ☺️

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back