Anyone planned stops from dieppe south

The laird

Rally Organiser

Just trying to plan our stops at aires etc when we leave the ferry at dieppe ,first stop Le Mans (outskirts) second stop Bordeaux area ,then perpignan,after that not sure as we're heading for Spain to start with
any tips advice accepted thanks in advance

Just trying to plan our stops at aires etc when we leave the ferry at dieppe ,first stop Le Mans (outskirts) second stop Bordeaux area ,then perpignan,after that not sure as we're heading for Spain to start with
any tips advice accepted thanks in advance
Gordon, as you know we did Gruissan Harbour, followed by the emergency evacuation to Le Boulou when the flood started! There was no water or grey/black waste available, but there is a large Leclerc Hypermarket within 1 mile or so for fresh water bottle purchases [and diesel]. We then pootled into Spain on the Sunday, arriving at Vilafranca del Penedes about 300m from Mercadona, and 600m from the Ramblas/Old Town. There are about 25 marked pitches, and there is ample freshwater plus grey and black waste disposal. If this Aire is full, there is a 2nd Aire, larger and more informally laid out [nobody worries about extra Motorhomes parking in the main Car Park, unless it's Saturday night into Sunday morning because of the weekly Market!], about 1.7 miles away at Santa Margarida, which lacks only a Mercadona, There's a decent range of Pharmacies, Tapas bars, local general shops, and a VERY helpful Tourist Office on the Main Street

Le Boulou to Vilafranca was 133 miles, and Gruissan Harbour to LeBoulou was a soggy 62 miles, so under 200 miles in total

Steve

Le ferte st Aubin👍
Culan👍
And now at issoire that is absolutely heavin,
Issoire is first place with water ,
Had about a foot of snow between montlucon and clermont ferrand
20 miles north of La Ferte St Aubin there is an Aire at Saran with Fresh Water and Grey/Black water disposal. We were going to stay there inearly April 2022, but realised that that would mean starting the next morning in the Orleans Rush Hour whilst there were some 9 sets of major roadworks underway. We moved on from Saran early afternoon and avoided the traffic problem!

Steve

Assuming that you are looking for single nights and maximising driving time, might be worth considering:
Montbizot (north of Le Mans) https://www.campingcar-infos.com/view.php?id=5708
Arnage (south of Le Mans), but some adverse comments https://www.campingcar-infos.com/view.php?id=6648
Saint-Romain-la-Virvée (north of Bordeaux) https://www.campingcar-infos.com/view.php?id=22136
Cadillac (south of Bordeaux) https://www.campingcar-infos.com/view.php?id=341 if you prefer to avoid traffic around Bordeaux in the morning.

All of the above are aires with services and are in the wildcamping.co.uk Location App (but note that I have reported Saint-Romain-la-Virvée as now being an AC, not an AF).

As for Perpignan area, numerous possibilities, depending how broad an area you are considering.

If I've got it wrong, and you intend to take more time, I could perhaps suggest other locations along a route, not all of them with services.

When we come from Dieppe we always go via A71 to A75 Orleans, Vierzon, Clermont Ferrand and Perpignan. I can't really see the point of going over to Bordeaux and then right back again to Perpignan. The A75 is toll free,crossses the Millau Viaduct and in case of snow is always cleared very quickly.
Just needs checking that ,as reported above, that the Le Boulou aire is still open. We ended up diverting inland to Amelie les Bains which was a great Camping Car Park aire and not far off the route South

When we come from Dieppe we always go via A71 to A75 Orleans, Vierzon, Clermont Ferrand and Perpignan. I can't really see the point of going over to Bordeaux and then right back again to Perpignan. The A75 is toll free,crossses the Millau Viaduct and in case of snow is always cleared very quickly.
Just needs checking that ,as reported above, that the Le Boulou aire is still open. We ended up diverting inland to Amelie les Bains which was a great Camping Car Park aire and not far off the route South
I suspect that, at this time of year, that route would require possession of snow chains/socks/tyres in accordance with French legislation.

I suspect that, at this time of year, that route would require possession of snow chains/socks/tyres in accordance with French legislation.
Yes we have M+S tyres which are acceptable at the moment.
Not sure of the terrain but I suspect crossing from Bordeaux to Perpignan might be the same.
I suppose its checking the weather and going A75 with correct gear or Bordeaux and crossing via Zarogoza and Tereul if clear in Spain

Yes we have M+S tyres which are acceptable at the moment.
Not sure of the terrain but I suspect crossing from Bordeaux to Perpignan might be the same.
I suppose its checking the weather and going A75 with correct gear or Bordeaux and crossing via Zarogoza and Tereul if clear in Spain
My gut instinct, having travelled sections of the route many times, is that Bordeaux via Toulouse to Narbonne and down to Perpignan is clear of any snow chain/sock/tyre requirement. See https://motorhomer.com/threads/snow-chains.45534/post-262275 for links to maps of areas and list of communes.

i have frequently used the aire at Anglet slightly north of biaritz because it is next to the beach thus perfect for the dogs , then 4/hrs south there i# a lovely aire at Ampudia nr the bull ring a wonderfull town with a castle featured in the film el cid and streets that look like a spaghetti western , lots of lovely spots depending on your route C008BE57-E7D4-4AF4-8FBA-B4C9B7E6925A.jpeg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back