Are people still buying Burstners over in Europe?

Millie Master

A good friend has finally seen the light and is stopping being a tugger and is hoping to try to buy a new Burstner, however it looks like he will have to wait until June at the very earliest before he might be able to get one.
As this is the case and as he knows a lot of Dutch, Belgian and Danish people, including caravan/motorhome dealers, are people still buying them overseas and bringing them back to the UK and if so what might be the pitfalls?

Many thanks

Phil

Pitfalls?

Well, I would guess the biggy is it would presumably be LHD?

AC sockets will be Continental style, but easy to change to UK 13A style.
Warranty Claims might have to be dealt with by dealer from the supplying country?

LHD is hardly a pitfall, and in my experience does not have any effect on insurance premiums.
And as for AC sockets, the only use that I've had for one is to anchor a camera battery charger being used on 12v while travelling.
I would suggest that the big question is: Has importing from the EU become more complex/expensive since Brexit?

In the past you could go to any dealer in Denmark, Holland, Belgium, Germany and order a new van specified to UK specification, i.e. RHD, correct UK type sockets etc.

Is this available still?

In the past you could go to any dealer in Denmark, Holland, Belgium, Germany and order a new van specified to UK specification, i.e. RHD, correct UK type sockets etc.

Is this available still?
The is the same demand in Europe that there is in the UK for Motorhomes, so a dealer won't go to the same kind of effort for a special order than in the past I reckon. As a way to save time, likely make no difference. as a way to get a MH quicker, lots more LHD ones available used on the continent compared to RHD in the UK.

Most new Burstners will have a 2 year warranty and a 10 year water ingress warranty. To keep the water ingress warranty valid you will have to get yearly checks done by the dealer.
Make sure a U.K. dealer will be able to continue this warranty check.

The import duty and VAT will be the big extra expense, the import duty is added to the cost of the vehicle and then the VAT added onto that total, the amount of duty to pay depends on the type of vehicle and the country it's being imported from, you'll need to contact HMRC, then of course you'll have to have it checked to make sure it meets UK vehicle regulations before you can register and tax it.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back