Are the DVLA breaking the Equality Laws?

Are the DVLA breaking the Equality Laws?

• Yes

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • No

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters

wildebus

This is something that has crossed my mind over the years and with the recent change in their stipulated requirements I thought it would be interesting to see the general consensus...

There are two requirements that seem to be abolutes now - one internal and long standing; one external and recent.

1) Provision of a bed 6 foot long
2) High Top

Now if the person who is buying/converting/using the Motor Caravan is of limited stature, then they neither require a bed 6' long to sleep comfortably in, or a High Top if they can stand in a standard roof van.

So saying to that person it is a legal requirement that they must have these features solely because 'normal' people would need them would be discriminatory would it not?

I wonder if anyone has challenged the DVLA on this premise? Vote on the poll!

This is something that has crossed my mind over the years and with the recent change in their stipulated requirements I thought it would be interesting to see the general consensus...

Good point Dave and with regards to the High Top does that mean they are going to be insisting on H3 only vans, which if they do, that knocks on the head the vast majority of professionally converted panel vans!!
Or are they proving to be as thick and generally stupid as we all know they are and they actually mean H2 & H3 vans.

As for the length of the bed being at least 6', I have always thought that was one of the most contestable points of their stupid regulations!

Phil

dont know if they are braking the law or not.....however.....think it is rather unfair and thoughtless.......

I think they have to look at the bigger picture of future ownership as most vans will be sold on at some point and it would limit the market if you could only sell to the vertically challenged.

I don't think they are however I am not sure whether someone posting 'normal people' is :unsure: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
That is why I deliberately - and with thought - used the word "normal" and put it in quotes. It was not a lack of sense on how someone may read it here but more on how the thought process of those making the rules likely works.

I think they have to look at the bigger picture of future ownership as most vans will be sold on at some point and it would limit the market if you could only sell to the vertically challenged.
well, yes, but what about those who are very tall? Don't know if anyone has been watching the US Congressional Hearings but one of the Witnesses is well over 7' tall. What about his bed length and standing requirements when selling on?
I don't think resale values are part of DVLAs remit anyway.

well, yes, but what about those who are very tall? Don't know if anyone has been watching the US Congressional Hearings but one of the Witnesses is well over 7' tall. What about his bed length and standing requirements when selling on?
I don't think resale values are part of DVLAs remit anyway.

I doubt there's many neanderthals looking at vans....horseboxes maybe😊

My old Romahome C15's V5c hadn't been changed to Motor Caravan, and I often wondered if Romahome hadn't applied for it because the bed was only 5 ft 9 ins - although it did have an extra bit you could use to make it 3 inches longer.

It was plenty long enough for me, also I can stand up in my Autosleeper Trooper without putting the pop top roof up, so I guess I'm not a "normal" person by DVLA's definition - even though I am only 1 inch shorter than the UK average.

put quite a few vans through in my time,never had a bed measured yet. pointed out this same argument years ago , but only to be used if necessary. i hope nobody is intending to send any poll results to DVLA. the guidelines they use are only there because people kept bothering them instead of using common sense. more bothering will guaranteed result in more rules-and they'll all be about things you can't do

Now if the person who is buying/converting/using the Motor Caravan is of limited stature
What are you saying, I've never been prejudiced towards people who have grown past the normal height of 5'5" Though I can see how they surfer with clearance issues. Next it will be said that it is environmentally unfriendly to grow past 5'5" ;)

Doesn’t make any difference, they state more than one window when you can only look through one at once :)

a standard is generic and customisation is specific.

Most irish folk are small,im 5.7 and my mum was a small person.

Attachments

• me & mother alls weding dunmurry.jpg
    me & mother alls weding dunmurry.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 9

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back