Auto-Sleeper Talisman GX - side window blinds/curtains and cupboards

DocMartin

Has anyone ever removed the side window curtains and blinds? I can't see how to get them out as they are right up behind the bottom of the overhead cupboards. I can't even see how to get the cupboards out. Once they are out of the way I want to remove the window assembly and replace the rotten wooden frame that the actual window frame is secured to.
side window 1.JPGside window 2.JPGside window 3.JPGside window 4.JPGside window 5.JPGside window 6.JPGside window 7.JPG

Looks like you have a lot of dismantling to do before you can get to anything. The blinds usually have screws up the sides holding them in place but looks like you cannot get to most of it. If the wood round the window is rotten it has probably gone further. None of the wood they used in MH was treated in anyway which is probably why it rots so easily. Good luck with your project.

Having made a start on it now, it is not going to be too difficult to repair. The blinds are fixed to a frame which is held in by 7 or 8 screws, plus a couple that hold a filler panel in place. Once I had removed the screws the blinds frame could be taken away and the rotten frame was there to see. There are a few metal bits to remove, these are like C shapes and have a single screw which tightens them up clamping the window frame in place in the aperture. One strip of wood was crumbling away on the side of the aperture, the other side looked like it could be used but I will replace it as it had been damp at some point. The top strip is not so easy to access with the cupboard in place but it is ok. This bit has different clamps fitted which are screwed to the wood first and the window frame is hooked on. The bottom strip is rotten at one end so I may just cut that end off and replace it - it depends on how easy it is to pull the wood off, it is fixed in place with a very strong body panel adhesive, something like Tigerseal. I will continue with the job on Monday after my mechanic has replaced a couple of brake pipes and got the MOT done.
If anyone is interested I can post a video, can video be posted here? If not I'll put it on YouTube.

What caused the rotten wood and have you addressed it or going to
The wood rotted because the seal between the corner of the window frame and body started to leak. (This is 21 years old). It only takes a pinhole to allow water in, then the wood slowly soaked up the water causing the clamp screws to rust and slacken allowing more water in. The wood eventually completely crumbled away causing the frame gap to get bigger. Someone filled the gap with an unsuitable sealer which came unstuck from the metal frame, by then the frame had to be removed to clean out the sealer and that's where I have started on it. I will be replacing the wood as that is what stiffens the body around the window and it takes the window frame clamps. It is, in my experience, the most common source of leaks in old monocoque bodies. The roof vents are usually ok as they are easy to seal if they leak but the window frames put people off and so does the cost of having a pro do the job.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back