Autotrail Owners?

wildebus

I have a bulb that will not go properly in the fitting in the bathroom. It is a two-prong bulb and I suspect maybe a prong broke off an old bulb and is stopping it going it?
I want to try and remove the fitting to have a look but can't see how :( anyone here with an Autotrail circa 2005-2010 ish who may have the same fitting and know how to remove?

This is the fitting - there are two tiny screws that secure it to the ceiling panel but they are obsecured by the brass-coloured ring around it, and I am not sure how that is kept in place. I don't want to pull it in the wrong way and break it :( does it pull, rotate, clips?
1618488873577.png

This is the fitting as usually seen with the glass cover on ...
1618489097816.png

The bulbs only slide in, there are no other clips needed.
You may have an old prong in one of the holes, but very unusual.
Do you have a dental mirror or similar, so you can look into the contacts?

The bulbs only slide in, there are no other clips needed.
You may have an old prong in one of the holes, but very unusual.
Do you have a dental mirror or similar, so you can look into the contacts?
I can see they *should* just slide in but it doesn't and the reason has got to be an obstacle stuck. but to free it will need the fitting to come out.

Does the silver part not twist off anti clock..?
it might? It looks like plastic so it would be very easy to remove by breaking it by removing incorrectly - putting it back on becomes the challenge then!
so hoping some forumite might have had occasion to have removed this fitting in the past and can tell me what to do (or NOT what to do!)

IF YOU CONTACT AUTOTRAIL TECHNICAL HELP YOU COULD ASK THEM YOU WILL NEED THE BUILD NO THEY ARE VERY HELPFUL VIA E MAIL ONLY IM AFRAID

My Auto-trail is earlier than yours and I don't have the same light fittings. However, looking at your photos, I suspect that the silver bezel that the shade fixes to is clipped in via tabs (arrowed in the piccy below). Perhaps gentle persuasion to spring those inward will allow the bezel to be dropped and give access to the screws securing the light to the deckhead?

1618509268050.png

you could try putting one prong in at a time to see if it will fit . could be you have the wrong diameter pronged bulb take on from another fitting and try it in ??

you could try putting one prong in at a time to see if it will fit . could be you have the wrong diameter pronged bulb take on from another fitting and try it in ??
interesting thought on the bulb. I do have another working bulb in the same fitting next to it which looks identical but I guess there is a level of tolerance. could try swapping it over.

I think your suggestion about calling Autotrail is a good idea.

My Auto-trail is earlier than yours and I don't have the same light fittings. However, looking at your photos, I suspect that the silver bezel that the shade fixes to is clipped in via tabs (arrowed in the piccy below). Perhaps gentle persuasion to spring those inward will allow the bezel to be dropped and give access to the screws securing the light to the deckhead?

View attachment 59018
yup, I saw the clips there and wondered. Maybe like a "U" shape" and gripped above and below? I think a call to Autotrail beckons :)

Fit a led, bulbs are for the garden, from an old post I remember the unit is bayonet and twists off.

Last edited:
Hi. David. On one of my previous mohos the two prongs on the bulb were of slightly different size. Would only go one way

Do those pillars not unscrew? I have something similar and they are part of the holding mechanism

Could you not poke something a little thinner than the bulb prongs into the holes to see which one, if any, is causing the obstruction? I doubt whether taking the fitting off will give you any better access to the bulb holder, the ends will likely be closed off.

Do those pillars not unscrew? I have something similar and they are part of the holding mechanism
They are for the glass only I am sure. I think this as within the fitting there are screws going into the ceiling. I also checked to see if those pillars have an internal screw - nah.

FWIW, I have a similar fitting, but older version, of those lights. They take the two-pronged lamps that I've changed to LEDs, one of which failed last night. In noted that it was a pig to fit the new lamp as the prongs didn't precisely line up with the holes in the light fitting and a little bit of tweaking was required as I could only get one of the prongs inserted at a time...

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back