Awnings

GMJ

We currently have a blow up awning which is a bit of a struggle for us to attach to our wind out canopy. I have to stand on a small step ladder and feed the beading through the rail on the wind out canopy whilst Mrs GMJ pulls on the other end...which she finds difficult. Using silicone spray helps it glide easier but holding up the awning to the canopy rail is heavy work

When we had a drive away awning we connected it to our MH using a kador strip and figure of 8's. This was very simple and easy to use.

It got me thinking whether this same method could be used for a non drive away awning. If I threaded the kador strip on the wind out canopy; then positioned the awning snug to the MH; then inflated it; and then attach the kador strip to the awning using the figure of 8's.

Would this work? Has anyone else done this?

ta

I bought an aluminium Kador rail from local camping store and screwed onto the out side of the pull out awning frame. It looks okay and doesn't really notice. it isnt as tight as the built in rail, therefore easier to slide awning in and out

Reactions: GMJ
That's an interesting idea. In my minds eye I can see that it would make it easier to slide the awning beading n and also pt less strain on the wind out canopy as it would still be locked in place.

Do you have a drive away awning or a standard one?

Any chance of a link to the rail you bought and a photo of it in situ?

as you can see i have taken pictures of the rail in situ and the off cut left over
Hope this is of some use

Attachments

• rail 2.jpg
    rail 2.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 16
  • rail 1.jpg
    rail 1.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 16
Thanks - it is.

Could I ask where you got the rail from as I haven't come across it before

Also how you attached it? Self tapping screws or the like? If so what size?

Is it a standard awing you use with it or a driveaway one?

I bought it from Norwich camping. I think it will be standard at any caravan sales or camping store.
I used 3mm stainless nuts and set screws and it is a standard inflatable awning,
If your wife is struggling to pull through the rail this should be a lot easier plus if you have eyelets on the end of the kador strip, attach a cord to one of them for her to pull rather than trying to grab the material

i used the nut and bolts for strength, I am not convinced self tappers would hold if wind got up etc

I bought it from Norwich camping. I think it will be standard at any caravan sales or camping store.
I used 3mm stainless nuts and set screws and it is a standard inflatable awning,
If your wife is struggling to pull through the rail this should be a lot easier plus if you have eyelets on the end of the kador strip, attach a cord to one of them for her to pull rather than trying to grab the material

Thanks again

We have something attached for her to pull but she still finds it a struggle (she has MS so strength isnt her...err...strongpoint! :) )

Can I ask how you got to the back of the bolts in order to fix the nuts on? In my minds eye the wind out canopy is enclosed isnt it?

not sure what make yours is but if you open your awning rail out the cover is probably sprung loaded so you can pull it a little to drop your awning legs. there then should be enough room to get your fingers in to attach the nuts

I was able to pull awning thru with out any help as the rail is a lot more forgiving the the built in one

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back