B2b or more solar.

Mr and Mrs Tupcox

Well we have been using our van loads in the last 9 weeks of ownership only had 8 days home ,i fitted a 460ah fogstar.
A 30amp victron b2b ,and we have the standard fit 100w solar ,And I swaped the autotrail regulator for a victron mppt.
And fitted a 2500w inverter ,
We use a small kettle on 240 all the time, air fryer Every most days
Battery has not got lower that 72 percent.
Do we need all this solar every one adds to there roof.we drive most days 40 ish miles.
B2b over solar b2b is the winners 🏆

Yes its all down to own use patterns. I can stay parked for a couple of weeks so my B2B does nothing. Even when I move every day my 30A B2B is not enough unless I am driving more than 2 hours. approx 7 months of the year (in UK) my 300W solar does the job

I agree with the others, it is life style that counts.
I wonder what will happen when winter comes, because from what you say you're getting approximately 60 Amp hours which probably won't be enough for your usage.
It will be interesting to find out.

I agree with the others, it is life style that counts.
I wonder what will happen when winter comes, because from what you say you're getting approximately 60 Amp hours from the B3B which probably won't be enough for your usage, when you're getting very little on the solar.
It will be interesting to find out.

i have just fitted 2 more 100w renogy panels ! we are in a steady drizzle with grey skies but those two panels are still harvesting 60w , panels are £79 each on amazon & i had all the wires connectors & fittings from amazon delivered on site for a further £80 so relatively cheap at £240 i fitted them & jeff has connected them for me

You aren't a big power user looking at the figures in your first post, you b2b will only put a MAX of 30A back in the battery each hour driving but not taken much above 120Ah out the battery. 4 day standing in Winter should be easily doable I would think with that battery unless you change usage patterns.
If it was me I wouldn't be buying anything else til I know I need it :)

We have both solar and 2 x. 280 amp lithium battery’s and B2B we have been away all day with a portable freezer. The tv on most of the time the WiFi and a diesal heater on part time .
The battery’s have shown no use . So we’re on a winner this time ..l

We have both solar and 2 x. 280 amp lithium battery’s and B2B we have been away all day with a portable freezer. The tv on most of the time the WiFi and a diesal heater on part time .
The battery’s have shown no use . So we’re on a winner this time ..l
Freezer/fridge freezer will use approx 48 amps over a 24 hour period, all the other stuff won't use much spread over a few hours. Mine with similar kit works out at approx 65ah per day so you have a while to go yet before you hit significant usage, saying that solar this time of year will easily replace usage

What is this "B2B or Solar?" question? either/or? Nah, need both ;) Just finished this sled for a camper build :)

Sled by David, on Flickr

Just a comment on the Fogstar 460Ah battery .... I was rather underwhelmed by the supplied bolts with the battery.

Fogstar 2 by David, on Flickr
Very short and very few threads to secure onto the battery as they are so short! this photo shows what is left when using a 70mm2 cable lug.

This photo shows the supplied bolts with the Fogstar (bottom) compared with bolts I normally see on batteries (top).

Fogstar 1 by David, on Flickr

If this battery is being used as a swap for an existing battery, the chances are there are a stack of connectors on the positive terminal (last swapout I did had 11 connectors on the battery +ve terminals!). Have to do a lot of recabling with those bolts!

Last edited:
some of the many pearls of wisdom i received from david over the years are relavant here ie the more power you have the more you will use ✅
think what power you will get from solar in the middle of winter not summer ✅
don’t plan for a porsche and buy a ford ✅
Really really good advice stated in understandable way.

3 days away of grid .meaning no ehl.
Using inverter for tea and coffee air fryer 3 times breakfast bacon sausage. And sitting good this morning. Watching tv at night ..
Screenshot_20240630_101618_Fogstar Drift.jpg

Back