Badly Fitting Door

Winks

On our Hobby 750 the side door is ill fitting and leaves a 6mm gap at the bottom opposite the hinge side. There was a crude bit of a bodge done with some pipe insulation when we bought the van but that has decayed so I've taken it off. This a curved door to fit the body profile but I'm not averse to tweaking the bottom foot or so to make it slightly compress the existing door seal and thereby keep all this lovely warm air in the van and avoid having my lug bent by a below ideal temperature Jockess.

Any ideas? Damned if I can see a way of manually exerting enough force to bring it back into shape.

1642767144800.jpeg

1642767190152.jpeg

Cheers

H

I found that pre 06 fiat cab doors were easily sprained so the top part was not tight to the seal, my cure was to put a piece of wood about 20-25mm thick level with the bottom of the window and press firmly this always seemed to work, maybe try that but with caution, try to increase the pressure until it starts to move then maybe slightly over bend it, it probable that something got caught in the door at some point causing the problem.

I found that pre 06 fiat cab doors were easily sprained so the top part was not tight to the seal, my cure was to put a piece of wood about 20-25mm thick level with the bottom of the window and press firmly this always seemed to work, maybe try that but with caution, try to increase the pressure until it starts to move then maybe slightly over bend it, it probable that something got caught in the door at some point causing the problem.
Sounds a better solution to me than the apparently proven one of holding the door open and hitting the bottom with a rubber mallet.

Yeah, seems a bit brutal and not everyone would have a rubber mallet, I think discretion will be very important in getting it right.

On our Hobby 750 the side door is ill fitting and leaves a 6mm gap at the bottom opposite the hinge side. There was a crude bit of a bodge done with some pipe insulation when we bought the van but that has decayed so I've taken it off. This a curved door to fit the body profile but I'm not averse to tweaking the bottom foot or so to make it slightly compress the existing door seal and thereby keep all this lovely warm air in the van and avoid having my lug bent by a below ideal temperature Jockess.

Any ideas? Damned if I can see a way of manually exerting enough force to bring it back into shape.

View attachment 61982

View attachment 61983

Cheers

H
Have the same problem on our old 600. I even tried to locate a new door but no luck. My brother in law works in a body shop and took it off to shape on their bench.came back better but still not right.there must be 700s or 750s Being broken somewhere

i wouldn’t have said the problem is at the bottom of the door from that first photo it is gradually angling out from above there, of course not having physically seen it i’m not sure but i would think the manipulation needs to start near the lock/handle

Not sure if this will be of any use to you.O Leary’s have a selection of doors on their web site not sure what they cost.

Good luck

Keith
Thanks for the advice nothing at O'Iearys think the van is to old. Do believe that the 600,700 and 750 doors are identical. Even Hobby couldn't help. May have to do a little excursion to Germany in the summer ,😁

Rather than bending/twisting the door with the associated risks is it not worth looking at the seal on the doorframe and seeing if you can get a different profile to close the gap. Typical front door surround on something like an old 4x4 Mitsubishi Pajero is what I have in mind, available from a scrappy near you..
Something like
K ;)

Following on from Vanterrier's suggestion, these people have a wide range of seals. I have used them a couple of times. In my last van, after a bit of measuring, I managed to find an 'oversize' seal to fit the hab door extrusion and fill a gap at the bottom.

Well sort of. Been a bit on the busy side with other stuff but did get the thing close to the frame using the Mk1 mallet technique and stuck some self adhesive door seal on the casing. I will have a gander at larger door seals though, when it warms up a bit (soft git).

Cheers

H
Out with the mallet the 😁

Daft question but can the hinge not be adjusted .by undoing screws to frame and moved in slightly..

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back