BanjoMandolinGuitar

StreetSleeper

As I had a bit of time on my hands I decided to relax and try something different. For a long time now I have been toying with sticking a guitar neck to a banjo/ukulele pot. Fairly straight forward job, find two broken instruments and stick them together. Here's the start of the project; I think I've got the size right.

As you can see, above, my violin conversion sitting next to my new creation. Surprisingly, not a lot of difference in size.

The bridge is a little tight to the edge, not sure if this will affect the sound too much; we'll just have to wait and see.

Had to notch the bowl to get the action down on the neck.

Still needs a little more work to get a perfect fit but I think we're getting there.

I'm quite pleased with this part of the job. All I need is to glue another piece of wood in front of it so I can fix the neck more securely to the body.

Work has now stopped due to parts being ordered from China so, hopefully, the conclusion should be in about three months time; if the Chinese post is to be relied on.

Rae

grath

Love the Violin body, looks much nicer than my Washburn Travel GuitarL8JVehh1SleVMnZwAqsm0A.jpg

StreetSleeper

Love the Violin body, looks much nicer than my Washburn Travel Guitar
Hello Graham,
Au contraire, it was yours I wanted but, at the time, I didn't have the money so I had to settle for making my version of a travel guitar.

Rae

grath

Hello Graham,
Au contraire, it was yours I wanted but, at the time, I didn't have the money so I had to settle for making my version of a travel guitar.

Rae
Well Rae, you certainly have done a superb job. Hope it sound as good as it looks (y)

Val54

Out of interest is the bridge so close to the endpin to get scale length or were you concerned about the violin table taking the strain?

StreetSleeper

Out of interest is the bridge so close to the endpin to get scale length or were you concerned about the violin table taking the strain?
Hello Dave,
A little explaining on the construction of the violin guitar. First of all the violin was taken apart, a piece of oak three inches by half an inch runs from one end to the other, at the back end it is made up to support the strings from the inside, the same as the neck has been spaced out using oak to give the right height. Inspired by Les Paul's design of the log. Two thinner pieces of wood form the upright inside the violin body and then expanding foam was squirted in to give the body some sort of rigidity. My original use was to put a pick up inside it but I quite like it as a practice guitar. On both of the instruments the bridge is in the correct place, it just requires a bit of doctoring to get the strings to fit.

Rae

StreetSleeper

Hello Graham,
This is my new travel guitar, picked it up a few weeks ago, quite reasonably priced as it had been damaged but that repair has now been done and all I need is to respray the damaged area but a nice instrument to play.

Rae

Val54

Ah thank you for the explanation Rae, I was certainly wondering how you had managed to keep the violin body in one piece without major surgery!!

PS. Nice work on the resonator
Dave

StreetSleeper

keep the violin body in one piece without major surgery!!
Hello Dave,
I knew you should never strum a violin and when I was taking it apart I realised it would drastically need underpinning and, fortunately, it seems to have worked as I normally carry it around in the van and it's survived so far.

Rae

grath

Hello Graham,
This is my new travel guitar, picked it up a few weeks ago, quite reasonably priced as it had been damaged but that repair has now been done and all I need is to respray the damaged area but a nice instrument to play.

View attachment 48187

Rae
Another looking good, however I prefer all acoustic for travel as no need to carry an amp or other gear
Nice though, maybe set up as a Luthier

Val54

...I knew you should never strum a violin...

I do occasionally, but only very gently ??
Dave

StreetSleeper

I prefer all acoustic for travel as no need to carry an amp or other gear
Hello Graham,
Well this is the set up.

The amp was a present from the children.......or should I say adults and I thought I'd have a bash at eliminating the lead and having this box of tricks that seemingly has five functions. Never tried it out yet so don't have an opinion.

To be honest with you I prefer acoustics, I thought I'd try this new one out as I was quite intrigued with the machine heads. They do an acoustic version of this, which is basically the same but with ear plugs and no pick up.

Rae

Val54

Have you never tried Air On A G String? ...... I wasn't allowed to Rae ??, for the odd gigs that we still do the tempo is slightly faster........... I can't upload a sample as Phil doesn't allow MP3 file extensions but if you are interested you can find us at www.flaxmere.co.uk
Dave

StreetSleeper

Have you never tried Air On A G String?........ I wasn't allowed to Rae ??
Hello Dave,
Baching up the wrong tree?
I shall have a look at the link you posted.

Rae

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)