Banned from the Lakes

Having seen the video perhaps a more accurate title maybe ‘I parked illegally and the police asked me to move to a legal spot’
Hopefully...... but if the Police are going to start enforcing the ancient Bye law, it’ll affect stopping in lay-bys and off road spots....hope I’m wrong.

I suspect similar bylaws are in place in most if not all of the national parks,....

And fully expect them to be enforced if the LDNP are successful.

Copied from WC in response to same article:-

Indicative of a deeper malady in my opinion.

I am fortunate in that I was born and brought up on the southern edge of the Lake District and spent day after day cycling, walking and camping within 20 miles of home.There used to be public transport then which was reliable and cheap. I could leave home and get to Grasmere by bus for not long after 08.30 and cheaply enough to do it on milk round money. LDNPA is a double edged sword as most of these organisations tend to be, providing an armature for the would be managers of all things to build themselves a career, same applies to the NT. Even such worthy organisations as YHA are fully infected with this corporate bollox. Add in the very expensive charges for camp sites and the creeping gentrifications of big money second home buyers and there is the perfect storm against which people will struggle to have any free space.

No doubt, we are living in interesting times. Got to wonder though, why the heavy handed approach? Surely an instruction to move on in the morning and a record of registration number is enough for anyone. Here's an idea. How about getting Mike, Miranda et al out of their cosy offices at Ambleside and Grasmere to assist the wild men of the woods in clearing up the mess? Thought not, meetings and forms to be attended to ...Oh and someone needs to enforce those parking charges, of course.

Cheers

H

Sadly I think the bylaw is applicable as he wasn't parked on the highway (ie Crown Land). That said, Winks is right, the approach was heavy handed and it could easily have just been a warning to be gone in the morning. The blitz on any illegal parking will hopefully be a temporary response to the current problems and the pandemic and considerate overnighting will again be tolerated out of peak season if we ever get back to normal.

Another way forward would be to open up car parks to overnight stays,
Charge a realistic amount, be it a fiver or a bit more, and hey presto, you’ve got a decent amount of revenue coming in....
I know there will alway be the element who abuse it, don’t pay or leave a mess, but cctv with reg numbers of visitors, restricted number of nights etc,
im sure something of that nature could be easily put in place and be self funding, and more
It also encourages people to buy local, visit the bars and shops etc, etc, etc....
Oh hang on a minute...... I’ve just described most of Europe
I can only dream !

Another way forward would be to open up car parks to overnight stays,
Charge a realistic amount, be it a fiver or a bit more, and hey presto, you’ve got a decent amount of revenue coming in....
I know there will alway be the element who abuse it, don’t pay or leave a mess, but cctv with reg numbers of visitors, restricted number of nights etc,
im sure something of that nature could be easily put in place and be self funding, and more
It also encourages people to buy local, visit the bars and shops etc, etc, etc....
Oh hang on a minute...... I’ve just described most of Europe
I can only dream !
What you have described would be a great way forward BUT I'm afraid you have forgotten one tiny thing, greed, there will be a lot of locals who own campsites very upset.
We live in a country where money is king and common sense comes a very poor second.
It looks like we may well be holidaying abroad for the foreseeable future, where we are welcomed.
🤨🤔😕

What you have described would be a great way forward BUT I'm afraid you have forgotten one tiny thing, greed, there will be a lot of locals who own campsites very upset.
We live in a country where money is king and common sense comes a very poor second.
It looks like we may well be holidaying abroad for the foreseeable future, where we are welcomed.
🤨🤔😕
You are absolutely right, never thought of that side
oh well...... France here we come...

🤨🤔😕

... and are selfish enough not to give a stuff about all their neighbouring businesses who DON'T have campsites and also need income and would welcome the tourist business from visitors in campers, regardless of where they choose to park up for the night!!!

There is a very easy way to sort this and the legal powers are already there, so no need to make a change to the law.
You can already be fined up to £2,500 for littering etc. with a fixed penalty of £80.

But I'm afraid you're right, Lee. As a nation we are an absolute disgrace at dealing with this very important issue of anti-social behaviour with regard to littering & fouling our countryside (and towns!).

The government are desperate for revenue and the answer is as plain as the nose of your face, imho.

It would kill several birds with one stone - act as a deterrent, bring in revenue (at least initially) and allow the rest of the law-abiding citizens to go about their business without being lumped in with the new wave of anti-social idiots.

But don't expect either the government, local councils or the police force to use any common sense in addressing these matters any time soon.😝😕

I live in the southern Lake District and can confirm that the biggest problem local groups have had for the last few weeks in nearby beauty spots is clearing up rubbish and excrement from campers?. It seems that groups of people of all ages who might normally spend their weekends in the pub or possibly lying beside a pool in Benidorm have come to the Lakes. Cars, vans, campers,motor homes and motorbikes with cheap tents. It isn’t the law abiding seasoned motor home owners causing the problem but sadly the ban or reluctance to entertain people stopping overnight affects all. It is the usual scenario of the few spoiling it for the many or the other way round. The volume of rubbish is truly staggering.

Having just returned from 10 days in the middle of the Lake District in the moho I can see why the NPA have decided to apply this upto-now overlooked bye-law. The number of vehicles on the roads, lay-bys, parking spots, non-parking spots and field access points was unbelievable through the whole time we were there. On both weekends the car parks were full by 7am and then the roads were jammed with visitors parking on the verges of already very narrow and constricted roads.

In Glenridding the whole grassed park area in the centre of the village (not a car park!) was filled with cars - not normally tolerated but probably not controllable. At Aira Force the NT car park was full by 9am every day. Farm-based campsites were mostly only catering for those who could be self-sufficient in caravans or mohos, or closed for the year. The 'industrial' campsites on the edges of the Lakes were (over)filled to capacity.....frightening if you think Covid can kill you! In Pooley Bridge, despite the best efforts of the pubs and shops to apply the distancing rules we saw strangers standing shoulder-to-shoulder seemingly without a care in the world.

The Lake District is popular at any time. Covid restrictions for going abroad have exacerbated the problem of overcrowding through June/July/August and the 'Benidorm brigade' did massive damage to the tourist reputation in the area as soon as the lockdown/travel restrictions were lifted - this into a community justifiably scared of a massive influx of potential diseased visitors, many with no intention of socially distancing themselves.

Wild camping (of any type) in the The Lakes has to be conducted carefully with thought for the local working community at the best of times and isn't always easy or straightforward. These are exceptional times, the area is small, cramped and overcrowded. Just for once pay the fee, use a campsite that requires you to be self-sufficient, provides you an EHU and water and waste disposal, and be grateful. One day it will all return to how it was.....and the police overtime will be stopped.

Unauthorised Camping 11. (6)

It shall be an offence for a person to:
(a) set up, use or occupy a tent, wigwam or bivouac at any time;
or (b) set up, use or occupy overnight any other form of shelter (other than an umbrella) within a Management Zone unless they have been authorised to do so by the Authority under byelaw

11. (7) It shall be an offence for any person to sleep overnight in a stationary vehicle within a Management Zone unless:
(a) they have been authorised to do so by the Authority under byelaw 11;
or (b) the vehicle is on a road.

Above is from the National Parks byelaws. Looks like they cannot stop you sleeping in a vehicle if you are on the road.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back