Battery charger maintainer via MH mains circuit.

TrevandJenny

Our MH is fitted with the Sargent 328 electronics system, As I understand it when on hook up the 240v supplies the ring main as well as the 12v system. I understand a transformer drops the current for use in the 12v circuit as well as battery charging, depending the draw on the 12v system depends on the amps available for charging.
As the 240v input is not compromised by, for example the fridge on mains, can I use a quality battery charger maintainer plugged into mains circuit in MH and connected to leisure batteries.
My thinking for this is the transformed voltage from the charger will have more amps to the battery than the onboard 328 system.

It is as you say - and I think it is a maximum of 25A DC coming from the Charger so whatever is left over on the 25A total after the 12V Hab Electrics are considered goes to the Battery to charge. This is really the same as any battery charger TBH.

Yes, you could put another charger on as well to give greater amperage for charging, but because you will also have secondary charging from the EC328, the extra charger might get a bit confused on what charge state the battery is in?

What I would do is add the second charger connected to the Leisure Battery, but also when doing this, on the Sargent control panel select "Vehicle Battery". Then you will get the modern Smart Charger working on charging the Leisure battery, and the EC328 mains charger providing power to the Habitation Electrics and also as a little bit of a bonus maybe, charging the Starter Battery.
This way you are taking care of both batteries in the most optimum way.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back