BBC iPlayer closing their desktop app

GMJ

Some of you folks may be aware that the BBC are closing their desktop app in April. We use this on our laptop for when we are away: I download a load of stuff for us to watch when abroad so we don't burn data.

I asked the BBC why they are doing this and they replied...

We have made the difficult decision to close the Desktop Downloads app for BBC iPlayer, due to the low number of people using it and the cost required to keep it going. This does not affect downloads on the BBC iPlayer mobile or tablet apps, and viewers can continue to stream programmes on BBC iPlayer on their PCs and Macs.

Please be aware that from Monday 11 March 2024, you will no longer be able to download programmes from the web. Any existing programmes will be available to watch until Monday 8 April 2024, when the BBC iPlayer Downloads app will be closed.

The question I wanted to ask you folks was whether it would be possible to wire up from a tablet to our laptop so in effect we use our laptop as a screen only?

I know that we can get the programmes on the tablet and our phones but that is not really practical if 2 of us want to watch a couple of hours of stuff.

Just do an internet search on something like 'cast from tablet to pc' and you should have loads of 'hits' on both wired and wireless methods.

You can even do it if you run linux on your pc!

• Thank You
Reactions: GMJ
That sounds a good solution at least for the hours of TV already downloaded. I don't understand the cost of a desktop app being more than for a mobile. Especially if you can run the android app onto a laptop as described and still download.
But Graham's reply indicates it's done and dusted so time to move on.
Any tips on installing similar solution on Windows 10.

Reactions: GMJ
That sounds a good solution at least for the hours of TV already downloaded. I don't understand the cost of a desktop app being more than for a mobile. Especially if you can run the android app onto a laptop as described and still download.
But Graham's reply indicates it's done and dusted so time to move on.
Any tips on installing similar solution on Windows 10.
You can duel boot a linux android sys beside any win 10 11 etc.android x86.jpg

That's like saying you can sprinkle this magic fairy dust and switch on and off 3 times:)

Have a look at Spacedesk. It's a free app that lets you use an Android display as a windows monitor.

I think it might work the other way round, but I've not tried.

I ran a Mini HDMI cable from my phone to a TV Graham, using the micro USB port to the TV hdmi port, basically just mirroring the phone, so you may be able to go down that road also the cheapest as it's just a cable, you may be able to do it to a laptop also, not aware of your kit so stumped to go further but have a look on YouTube there might be a video.

I think it be done very simply with the Google Chrome Dongle. I bought on ea long while back and never really used it to it’s potential other than casting my tablet to the scree it was plugged into. Simple as chips if i can understand it.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back