Benidorm in Motorhome

We Luv Freedom

As the title says but are there any other travellers in the Benidorm area from January to April,,,, If so come say Hi 👍

Last year I started wondering "what is the attraction of taking a MH to Spain for the winter?"
£1000 approx for the crossing; 25 mpg for the drive; €15 per day? camping; gas to buy, water to fill, toilet to empty. Living space 10 sqm?

I discovered that I could get a self-catering apartment and flights for two people for approx £1500 all-in with Jet-2. Then hiring a car would provide for any transport we would need: €10 per day for a 30 day rental. AND the sheets & towels are changed regularly.

I also discovered that Brittany Ferries offer all-in self-catering holidays eg

Apartamentos del Mar, Calpe, Costa Blanca​

What's included?​

28 nights self-catering accommodation
1 or 2 bedrooms (maximum 2 or 4 persons)
Return ferry sailing to Spain (car and 4-berth ensuite cabin each way)

Comfortable, modern apartments with street view have well-equipped fitted kitchen with fridge/freezer, oven, hob, microwave, kettle, toaster & washing machine. Living room with tv/dvd (some English channels). Double or twin bedroom. Bath/shower/wc. Free Wi-Fi. Heating/air conditioning. Balcony with patio furniture. £887 pp

Sea view rooms are also available: £1153 pp

Other options are available, in a variety of resorts including Portugal.

Obviously there will be a cost for accommodation en-route but that will be offset by the better fuel consumption and the ability to get into smaller parking places in the car once there.

I thought it well worth considering but family circumstances are acting against us.

Gordon

(Plus, SORN the MH!)

I can see what u mean about the cost £££££ ,,,,, They do Cabana,s that sleep 5 x people on the site i use at €25 per night per Cabana Jan to April ,,,, ( My sister & Hubby ) come across & use a Cabana for 2mths of my stay there,,,,,
However the journey from home & sailing from Portsmouth to Santander then head South staying at Aire,s en-route & mixing with the locals make the MH experience worthwhile,,, i also take my electric bike so out on that most days to Levante beach,,,,,,,, Might as well use the MH as opposed to it being sat on the drive ,,,,,

20220424_180613.jpgScreenshot_20200427-164109.jpgScreenshot_20200427-164114.jpg

Last year I started wondering "what is the attraction of taking a MH to Spain for the winter?"
£1000 approx for the crossing; 25 mpg for the drive; €15 per day? camping; gas to buy, water to fill, toilet to empty. Living space 10 sqm?

I discovered that I could get a self-catering apartment and flights for two people for approx £1500 all-in with Jet-2. Then hiring a car would provide for any transport we would need: €10 per day for a 30 day rental. AND the sheets & towels are changed regularly.

I also discovered that Brittany Ferries offer all-in self-catering holidays eg

Apartamentos del Mar, Calpe, Costa Blanca​

What's included?​

28 nights self-catering accommodation
1 or 2 bedrooms (maximum 2 or 4 persons)
Return ferry sailing to Spain (car and 4-berth ensuite cabin each way)

Comfortable, modern apartments with street view have well-equipped fitted kitchen with fridge/freezer, oven, hob, microwave, kettle, toaster & washing machine. Living room with tv/dvd (some English channels). Double or twin bedroom. Bath/shower/wc. Free Wi-Fi. Heating/air conditioning. Balcony with patio furniture. £887 pp

Sea view rooms are also available: £1153 pp

Other options are available, in a variety of resorts including Portugal.

Obviously there will be a cost for accommodation en-route but that will be offset by the better fuel consumption and the ability to get into smaller parking places in the car once there.

I thought it well worth considering but family circumstances are acting against us.

Gordon

(Plus, SORN the MH!)
Point is, if you want a change of view and venue, you drive to the location of your fancy, which you can’t do if tied into a rental property.

Point is, if you want a change of view and venue, you drive to the location of your fancy, which you can’t do if tied into a rental property.

Exactly
When we were there this year it was awful weather then a sandstorm, so we just drove up to northern Spain then into France where the weather was much better.
This wouldn’t have been possible had we flown out to an apartment.

We usually go via the euro tunnel and drive down as to me the drive down discovering new places on the way is a big part of the holiday

We go to Spain every winter for around an 8 week trip, starting in January. We tend to split the core weeks (those actually in Spain and near the Costas) across 3 campsites, so staying 2 weeks in each, whilst working our way up the Med coast.

We wouldn't like to stay in one place much longer than 2 weeks tbh however we have also thought that as we get older we may prefer to have longer stays so as to avoid travelling and one day, this may include hire of a chalet type thing.

We have found public transport to be cheap and reliable but have also hired cars for a couple of days here and there (sight seeing and doing a 'big shop'), and this is usually competitively priced as well.

Indeed. We rarely stay on the same spot for more than one night and really enjoy changes of scenery. IF we have to go anywhere, especially at home, we try out different routes.

However, many folk seem to BOOK a site for a long period over the winter (we very rarely book anywhere; we rarely use sites) and presumably they either put up with what they have or lose their money. I would like to go out in "decent" weather and check out the various places on offer but family circumstances are against any plans coming to fruition.

Gordon

I always book our trip to Spain each year: every campsite there and back. It is risky in case some of the places are not suitable however thus far - touch wood - we have been lucky. I always look for recommendations and always do loads of research and this helps. I am just putting the finishing touches to next January's trip which is 99% done.

Just one tip for anyone who is new to snow birding: many of the most popular sites do get booked up very quickly so if you fancy somewhere specifically it would be best to book. We have seen many folks turned away from sites in Jan and Feb as they are full. These tend to be sites near the coast, near restaurants, supermarkets, bus/train stops etc.

Indeed. We rarely stay on the same spot for more than one night and really enjoy changes of scenery. IF we have to go anywhere, especially at home, we try out different routes.

However, many folk seem to BOOK a site for a long period over the winter (we very rarely book anywhere; we rarely use sites) and presumably they either put up with what they have or lose their money. I would like to go out in "decent" weather and check out the various places on offer but family circumstances are against any plans coming to fruition.

Gordon
Yes each to their own I suppose.
For me having a motorhome is all about freedom .
I have looked in at some popular sites and , tbh , reversed straight back out in horror .
If someone had shouted Hi-de-Hi I wouldn't have been surprised.
Not for me

We have done many journeys on the number 10 bus, it used to be just 1 euro when we first started going
Aye, but could you get four penn'orth of chips and batter bits to eat on the bus back, 'cos them was the days; until they ruined all this nostalgia 👍

Steve

We've done only 1 trip to Europe for Winter sun, and that had to be postponed from November 21 to March this year. The planning was no more than looking for aires/sites that appeared to still be open (and with the water still on...), and started off on that planned route

A combination of changed circumstances en route, and the discovery of areas and aires that were really nice led to our ripping up the outline plan and just following our noses. The aires we stumbled across and recorded on our phones (went back to Meung sur Loire this week after the April 22 visit) as are those which are not what we're looking for
Search 4 sites, Park 4 night Apps, and talking to people at Aires builds the list of places to aim for

The (almost 6 months) Winter Trip, financed by the energy bill savings is edging closer. May need to do 'a game of 2 halves' approach to get 2 x Single Travel policies for up to 90 days each and come back home for a brief period (also fits the 90 days max absence home insurance criterion)

Steve

hi i will be in beni maybe sometime in sept maybe i could call and say hello?
kevin

The OP said that they would be there Jan - April though....

Aye, but could you get four penn'orth of chips and batter bits to eat on the bus back, 'cos them was the days; until they ruined all this nostalgia 👍

Steve
Nostalgia is not what it used to be
K :rolleyes:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back