Beware TV DETECTOR VAN

andyjanet

We sat in the van last night! Middle of nowhere near Malvern hills, Me reading motorhomer, janet researching her book when this flashed up on my iPad it had detected a Wifi signal and was asking me if I wanted to log in 750D46BA-B789-4CBA-81EA-3D394BCDC5F2.png
Sure enough on looking out the door there was a white van with funny antennas on and sign writing on the side of the van,
Now we don’t watch the TVs in the van but what would have happened if we had been

As a Landlord of a house you (not the tenant) should be paying the tv licence. Thus no problem you are on holiday so your home licence can be used !
I ,Think. But someone will know.
Ps Ledbury is nice.

As a Landlord of a house you (not the tenant) should be paying the tv licence. Thus no problem you are on holiday so your home licence can be used !
I ,Think. But someone will know.
Ps Ledbury is nice.
I had a search as this seemed strange to me.
From https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ35
It is always the tenants’ responsibility unless the tenancy agreement states that the landlord is responsible.
If you live in a shared house, it may also depend on whether there is a joint tenancy agreement or not. If each tenant has their own tenancy agreement, they would each need a TV Licence for their room.

We sat in the van last night! Middle of nowhere near Malvern hills, Me reading motorhomer, janet researching her book when this flashed up on my iPad it had detected a Wifi signal and was asking me if I wanted to log in View attachment 51351
Sure enough on looking out the door there was a white van with funny antennas on and sign writing on the side of the van,
Now we don’t watch the TVs in the van but what would have happened if we had been
just had a thought reading this ... could be fun if you have a MiFi Router (or active Phone hotspot running) to name it "TV Dectector Van" or maybe "Road Tax Dodger Detector" or various things and watch how people react as you are parked up :D

My letting agents were clear that I as landlord should pay...
Only £12 a month or so and claimable as expenses....No I am not an MP.
My agents seem on the ball re everything.
So "Do not disturb"

Having worked for a mental health housing organisation for 25 years and with individuals with learning disabilities I can say that as each person was a tenant in their own right each one had to buy their own tv license for the tv in their rooms. As the landlord provided a tv in the shared lounge the landlord had to pay for that license and also a license to watch watch the DVDs as that then became public watching and not private

Is it not just so obvious that somebody is just having a larf? I use my phone as a wireless hotspot (unlimited data) and name it anything I like, often exactly the same as a neighbours landline network just to confuse them. 😉

Last edited:
I think it is someone having a larf. I didn’t think they had tv detector vans anymore, as it worked by detecting the cathode ray tube signals.

Hands up who still has a black and white licence ?
On the news yesterday ... 65.000 people still with black and white TVs!

On the news yesterday ... 65.000 people still with black and white TVs!
Probably 64.999 people who don'the know how to turn the colour up 😂

I am sure you can refuse them entry and then if you don't admit to it there is nothing they can do, it reminds me of the one about John who remembered that his TV licence was overdue so went to the Post Office and renewed it, he was going to work on afternoons so he put the licence behind the clock on the mantelpiece, he kissed his Wife Sue and set off but as he was leaving the front gate the detector van pulled up outside, he recognised the van so he said "I have renewed the licence, it is behind the clock but I have to rush or I will miss the bus",
The man knocked on the door and when Sue answered he said I have to check your TV licence, Sue looked at the van and saw the aerials on it and said "I am sorry but I don't know where it is".
The man replied "it is behind the clock on the mantlepiece"
Sue said "blimey, those detectors are bloody good aren't they"

I haven't had TV for at least 40 years, don't watch it and so no licence. I have a tv in the van which is used for listening to the radio or watching DVD's. Similarly I have a computer, phone etc on which I could watch TV programmes, but don't. It's the watching of live TV or downloading to watch later that requires a licence.

Personally, I think it's time the licence fee was scrapped.

Seemples, the BBC can be impartial, note I said "can be".

Time you came to a proper forum where we say good morning to each other :D :D :D

Honestly, your country is a larf. Fancy having vans driving around like the Stazi catching people not paying for watching TV! Something 99% of people do. Must cost more to police than they raise in fees. Ludicrous.

Blimey the BBC's getting brave! They will have to be careful they may find it burnt out somewhere like they used to do in Northern Ireland in the 70's!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back