Bike rack clamps

Carrerasax

Help please
How do I release seized clamp.
It is solid and have tried, 3 in 1 oil , gt85 lubricant and release spray and wd40!!!
I looked to see if there is a nut up the shaft that I might get a socket onto but can’t see anything.
If I have to replace with a new one how do I get this off?C8FD8455-333D-44CB-84F1-5AD8F858EA6F.jpeg

I forgot to say on mine there is a rivet holding the whole thing together,if all else fails drill the end off this tap the rivet out then you stand a much better chance of releasing the clamp.

Hot air gun as said might help. Or wrap a towel round it and pour a lot of boiling water over it. Can you get a mole grip on it (protect with a cloth)? If so, try rocking it to left and right, rather than forcing it anti-clockwise, which might loosen it. Tap the knobs with a rubber mallet, again in both directions. Of course any of these suggestions might break the plastic knob.

Reactions: GMJ
Perhaps try wearing a rubber glove (Marigold type thing) when trying to undo it. It should give you better purchase on it.

If all else fails & you have to take the nuclear option, I had a look at mine and there's a gap at the claw through which you can see the threaded rod. It would be possible to get a hacksaw blade through the gap, then attach the blade to the hacksaw frame & saw through the rod.

Most of those types of knob have a hex socket moulded into them which usually takes an M6/M8 nyloc nut, probably been a zinc plated nut which has rusted on to the thread. If you destroy the knob I have one you can have with stainless nyloc nut. F.O.C.

Help please
How do I release seized clamp.
It is solid and have tried, 3 in 1 oil , gt85 lubricant and release spray and wd40!!!
I looked to see if there is a nut up the shaft that I might get a socket onto but can’t see anything.
If I have to replace with a new one how do I get this off?View attachment 59475

Once you have bought a replacement, (or similar, so long as the thread diameter, which will be metric maybe M6 or M8 or ... is measured, crunch off the plastic with mole grips, and then you will have the metal insert in your sights, again your mole grips, .. will clamp onto it, try gently tightening just a little, then loosen just a little, aim is not to shear it off, until it starts to move, and then a little each way and it will ease out. :) .. grease up the new one ..

Lots of helpful advice as always , ta. I’ll have a go at the W/e. 😀😀

Lots of helpful advice as always , ta. I’ll have a go at the W/e. 😀😀
Good luck. When we had the farm a neighbour told me how to get a seized wheel nut off the old (and sometimes not so old) tractor. Heat the nut with a blowtorch until red, get the 3/4" socket set with the big ratchet handle, stick a 4 ft length of steel water pipe over the handle, and if necessary stand on the water pipe. That shifted most nuts!!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back