Birding in the Algarve

Strollerbird

I was interested in taking the van to the Algarve but wanted a professional guide to spot the birds there. Has anyone got any advice on motor home stops/campsites with an on-site professional guide?

I could be you’re guide I’ve done a fair bit of bird watching in the Algarve never been caught yet I like the nocturnal type but I am prone to make a hide near the pool shades on grab a sun bed and watch the waders come flocking in.?

If you head to the sea and beaches your see a load of birds but don't touch your get nicked :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Seriously, winter in the Algarve has lots of birding opportunities, and wild camping is still tolerated although getting more restricted. Motorhome Aires are starting up at an increasing rate. We have seen accompanied birders with local English speaking guides at Salgado and other sites. Local Tourist Information offices can probably put you in touch. Meanwhile, have a look at https://www.pbase.com/wildbirdimages/portugal__spain
to get some idea of what you might see!

Spoonbill from our van, 24 hour motorhome parking, Fisherman's Beach, Armacao de Pera. Ignore the funny water colour: it's the camera, not the water!

We stayed in Cabanas near Tavira last year in late May. On the water front they have guides for all types of wild life, including snorkelling trips, and very reasonable prices. There are wild camping places nearby and camp sites. The locals are the salt of the earth, friendly and welcoming, especially in the local pigeon club. Food is cheap and good. We are planning a camper van trip for next year.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back