BMW seeing sense?

I think someone needs to proof-read this articles better ....

Global sales of hydrogen fuel cell vehicles (FCEVs) exceeded 72,000 units as of 2023. Even though this number is continually rising, it still only makes up a small part of the entire auto market. In addition, global passenger car sales reached around 80 million units in 2023. As a result, the ratio of hydrogen cars to the overall automotive industry is approximately 1 to 1.1, which means that for every hydrogen car sold globally, there will be approximately 1.1 conventional gasoline or diesel vehicles.

There is a slight mathematics fail here - minor one ... only out by a factor of 1,000 :)

But I think the use of Electric Motors to provide the traction makes good sense. Using Batteries to store the electricty rather than some kind of on-board generator is the flawed part.
This sounds good .....
The BMW iX5 has an electric motor, similar to a battery electric vehicle (BEV). The main difference is in the energy storage system. Instead of power in the battery, hydrogen is stored in tanks before being transformed into electrical energy for the drive unit via the fuel cell. This means that a hydrogen car, like a combustion engine vehicle, may be refueled in 3-4 minutes while still providing all of the benefits of electromobility

Last edited:
I'm hoping that they get the HICE cars going soon.

I'm hoping that they get the HICE cars going soon.
I would think unlikely? seems like Elecric Motors are the way forward. Similar to Locomotives ..... Ignoring the heritage lines, they are all Electric in the UK - the Diesel powered ones power the electric motors.

I don't know, the likes of JCB seem to thing it's the way to go, it is fairly simple technology with 100 years of development it just needs the cylinder heads to be re designed, but with either version fuel storage and delivery is the biggest hurdle.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back