Both front tyres losing pressure - problem with both or coincidence??

fatwelshbuddha

Both front tyres losing pressure - problem with both or coincidence??

Since coming back from holiday at the end of October, the motorhome has not been used much apart from twice in the last couple of weeks, and both times both front tyre pressures had dropped about the same amount (by about 1 bar to 4bar) according to my Tyrepal monitor. Between times it's been sat on my drive doing nowt. The 1st time it happened, I had the tyres pumped up to normal, but they had dropped in the 3 weeks by this morning. I wonder whether both valves are playing up but to me it seems odd that both front tyres are showing the same issue at the same time - any ideas???

*****;n9459 said:
It is just possible that the cold weather has resulted in a lower reading!
But this would effect all 4

More info here

search

It could well be temp as you say - and not always affecting all 4 either. depends where you are parked.
I used to get a similar problem on my RAV4 on my driveway - in the winter the tyres on one side were sometimes over 7PSI higher then the tyres on the other, and the tyre temp over 20C higher due to the tyres in the sun absorbing the direct heat and the other side in shade always.
This time of year, tyres pressures will vary massively on the same vehicle between sitting in the shade doing nothing and having run for an hour at motoway speeds. (I've run TPMS systems with pressure and temp info on my vehicles for over a decade now)

It is just possible that the cold weather has resulted in a lower reading!
But this would effect all 4

I'm aware that cold will reduce readings and as you say, that would affect all 4 - but it's only the 2 front that are below normal - 1bar is about 15psi and that's how much they have dropped - the rears are as I would expect, and only a couple of PSI below summer readings

What rims are on your vehicle and how old are your tyres?

It could be corrosion on the rim seating or round valve stem hole,i used to do a few sets every week in my old biz,we shot blasted rims and epoxy coated inside,outside was finished in 2 pack polyurathane.
Taxi steel rims always leaked and i had a constant turn round on these.
You could also have a porous tire,have you tire sealer in them if not i would try in one.

Hmmmm, a bit of a mystery,
I think I would be looking at the tyrepal monitor giving spurious readings.Have you been able to double check the tyres with a different gauge?

It could be corrosion on the rim seating or round valve stem hole,i used to do a few sets every week in my old biz,we shot blasted rims and epoxy coated inside,outside was finished in 2 pack polyurathane.

the m/h is in to have some work done on it this week, so the service centre is going to check them over for any problems - they suggested it could be the valves. but it's curious that it's the 2 front and at the same time.

Most tyres and rims leak a small quantity of air over time. Have you tried having your tyres filled with nitrogen? Google the process and its benefits-you'll be surprised. Our cars and camper all have nitrogen filled tyres and none has needed topping up in 3 months. Two have steel rims and one has alloys.

Make sure it not helium

Attachments

• Screenshot-2017-12-4 pictures of flying car tied to ballons - Saferbrowser Yahoo Image Search ...png
    Screenshot-2017-12-4 pictures of flying car tied to ballons - Saferbrowser Yahoo Image Search ...png
    133.3 KB · Views: 0
I think I would be looking at the tyrepal monitor giving spurious readings.Have you been able to double check the tyres with a different gauge?

when it happened last time, the pump gauge used to pump them up showed the same low reading as the Tyrepal, so it's not that.

Most tyres and rims leak a small quantity of air over time. Have you tried having your tyres filled with nitrogen? Google the process and its benefits-you'll be surprised. Our cars and camper all have nitrogen filled tyres and none has needed topping up in 3 months. Two have steel rims and one has alloys.

my tyres have never needed topping up previously - just this incident. and yes, I have read about nitrogen but can see no advantage at all compared to air.

fatwelshbuddha;n9556 said:
my tyres have never needed topping up previously - just this incident. and yes, I have read about nitrogen but can see no advantage at all compared to air.

Apart from nitrogen is less dense than air it does not leak through tyre walls like air so tyre pressures will remain constant for longer. Nitrogen is totally dry, contains no water or vapour at all and once purged through a wheel removes all moisture so that no corrosion can happen. Nitrogen filled tyres only have miniscule pressure changes due to changing temperatures under normal driving conditions. The more water or water vapour that is inside between rim and tyre causes more pressure changes due to temperature changes. A constant tyre pressure over time means better tyre wear and fuel consumption. So overall no advantages then?:Thinking_Face_Emoji

Last edited by a moderator:
Try getting the beads resealed with bead sealer,tire fitters will test them in water tank.

trevskoda;n9539 said:
Taxi steel rims always leaked and i had a constant turn round on these.
You could also have a porous tire,have you tire sealer in them if not i would try in one.

Definitely a possibility as I had similar issue with one of my fronts, replacement valve and dressed valve seat sorted it.

Piers

I had a problem with one doing similar, then noticed cracking in the valve rubber. Checked the rest and 3 out of 4 showing cracking, bit worried, so went to Tyreshack and got valves replaced with metal high pressure ones. Not much cost for piece of mind to hopefully avoid no tyre pressure at 70 m.p.h. !

part from nitrogen is less dense than air it does not leak through tyre walls like air so tyre pressures will remain constant for longer. Nitrogen is totally dry, contains no water or vapour at all and once purged through a wheel removes all moisture so that no corrosion can happen. Nitrogen filled tyres only have miniscule pressure changes due to changing temperatures under normal driving conditions. The more water or water vapour that is inside between rim and tyre causes more pressure changes due to temperature changes. A constant tyre pressure over time means better tyre wear and fuel consumption. So overall no advantages then?

I think that's called "marginal" - for the cost and faff I really see no point as air is 86% nitrogen. yes - it has a place in racing cars and aircraft but in everyday vehicles? no

I have just joined Costco, mainly because I will need 5 new tyres shortly and they do a good deal on tyres. The cost includes fitting and pressurising with Nitrogen. Air is good enough for me but my spare is awkward to get at and Nitrogen might be a better option for it.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back