Brake light switch keeps failing

Bracknell MoHo

Renault Master based MoHo, 2007 reg. The brake light switch has now failed several times. I think now on our 4th switch in maybe 3 years (and with not much vehicle use due to circumstances).

These switches are simple, so I'm trying to understand what might be root cause. I assumed the first two may have been faulty - well OK the second one was a bit "again?". Now there clearly must be some underlying problem.

Renault Master based MoHo, 2007 reg. The brake light switch has now failed several times. I think now on our 4th switch in maybe 3 years (and with not much vehicle use due to circumstances).

These switches are simple, so I'm trying to understand what might be root cause. I assumed the first two may have been faulty - well OK the second one was a bit "again?". Now there clearly must be some underlying problem.
Our 2005 Renault Master ( Probably same model as yours), has always had a "dodgy" handbrake switch, in that the dashboard light often illuminates, but always goes out if operated a second time. Is that what you mean ? or is it the actual brake light switch ?

Our 2005 Renault Master ( Probably same model as yours), has always had a "dodgy" handbrake switch, in that the dashboard light often illuminates, but always goes out if operated a second time. Is that what you mean ? or is it the actual brake light switch ?
It is the actual brake light switch i.e. the switch that is actuated by the brake pedal.

I suspect in practise my question is not necessarily specific to the Renault but rather "what on earth can cause brake light switches to repeatedly fail".

It is the actual brake light switch i.e. the switch that is actuated by the brake pedal.

I suspect in practise my question is not necessarily specific to the Renault but rather "what on earth can cause brake light switches to repeatedly fail".
Maybe it is specific to your Renault as it is not a common problem generally.
Possibly expand the troubleshooting past the switch itself? could it be a problem with how it is mounted in your specific van? If at the wrong angle it is stressing the switch actuation?
If it IS a problem with the mounting for example, and if when you swap the failed switch for a new one and mount it in exactly the same way, then the problem remains. So when you change the switch, check everything runs smoothly and no awkward or 'unnatural' movements.

I'll give you an example ... many many years ago used to repair computer peripherals. I can't remember the exact product, but there was a ribbon cable that used to break after a while and service guys would go in and replace the cable. "bloody rubbish cables" was the usual comment. but the problem was the cable was very slightly offset on its run and that offset stopped the cable being in its natural position and with the constant movement (it was a printer with a head going back and forth) the wire strands in the cable would be pulled and eventually break. The fix was NOT to replace the cable every 6 months or whatever but just realign it so it lay flat and the problem would not happen.,

Back