Brake seizure/Fiat Ducato 2017 44k

Carrerasax

So is a floppy hand brake that doesn’t seat firmly when you let it off, an indicator that something is amiss with the brakes.
Wheels don’t seem to get hot and van seems to pull ok.
Should I be concerned and get them checked out🤔

So is a floppy hand brake that doesn’t seat firmly when you let it off, an indicator that something is amiss with the brakes.
Wheels don’t seem to get hot and van seems to pull ok.
Should I be concerned and get them checked out🤔
Yes big time, i go over my brakes every year and twice, spring and before winter, if van over 5 years fit new rear wheel cylinders and shoes, also look at front calipers for seazure wear and disc wear, look at all hoses for cracks.

We have a 2016 Ducato base vehicle that just passed the 20,000 mileage 2 weeks ago; the squealing front brakes got much worse on our last trip to the New Forest, so Brunhilde is booked in for Thursday for freeing up and/or caliper/disc replacement. Don't know whether to expect a pounding or a £££ invoice [or both] ... o_O

Steve

Front disc hub all one on mine, £100 a go, easy home diy job.View attachment 69751View attachment 69752
Front Discs can be very easy to work on. (weirdly, when it comes to vehicle mechanicals, the only thing I really used to do on my own vehicles ARE the brakes!)
Rear Brakes can be far more awkward though when they incorporate the handbrake mechanisms. I don't know if the Ducato rear brakes need a special 'wind-back' tool like vans such as the VW Transporters do? If they do, it is tricky to work on them properly without those. (WITH the tool, which is cheap to buy anyway, it was pretty easy).

I had to have the rear brakes done on my Ducato around a year ago and it was not cheap :( . But front brakes really are much more straightforward and you should not need to pay that much for new discs and pads even with fitting. @marchie , I would get a quote from a couple of places to get an idea of prices. Even replacing Calipers does not take long to do.
PS. I don't know what you usually do about brake fluids, but it should really be replaced every two years (typical charge is £25 I have found), so if you have not had this done in the last two years, I'd recommend getting it down at the same time as the brake work. Refreshing the fluid at that time makes most sense, esepcially if you DO end up with new calipers. They would charge you for some new fluid anyway to top up, so just get the lot replaced.

Front Discs can be very easy to work on. (weirdly, when it comes to vehicle mechanicals, the only thing I really used to do on my own vehicles ARE the brakes!)
Rear Brakes can be far more awkward though when they incorporate the handbrake mechanisms. I don't know if the Ducato rear brakes need a special 'wind-back' tool like vans such as the VW Transporters do? If they do, it is tricky to work on them properly without those. (WITH the tool, which is cheap to buy anyway, it was pretty easy).

I had to have the rear brakes done on my Ducato around a year ago and it was not cheap :( . But front brakes really are much more straightforward and you should not need to pay that much for new discs and pads even with fitting. @marchie , I would get a quote from a couple of places to get an idea of prices. Even replacing Calipers does not take long to do.
PS. I don't know what you usually do about brake fluids, but it should really be replaced every two years (typical charge is £25 I have found), so if you have not had this done in the last two years, I'd recommend getting it down at the same time as the brake work. Refreshing the fluid at that time makes most sense, esepcially if you DO end up with new calipers. They would charge you for some new fluid anyway to top up, so just get the lot replaced.
Thanks, David. I had the Brake Fluid changed in Autumn 2021, not long after buying Brunhilde, and last year's annual service showed minimal water absorption. It's our usual garage doing the work, and the prices/quality are acceptable and can be relied upon, so Steven will only do what is needed, rather than what the book says [he quoted for the full service last year but when he compared the mileage covered in the previous 12 months and did a physical inspection, he did a '16v oil and filter' service instead, rather than charge for pollen filters etc where they had hardly done any work. He relies upon giving an honest service at reasonable prices and the repeat business to stay profitable, and will sort out a 5 minute job without charge as part of genuine customer service [ATS fitted the Winter Tyres but failed to clean the alloys properly, resulting in 2 wheel weights falling off on successive days ... He didn't charge for the first replacement, but took £30 on the 2nd day to cover the cost of removing the other 3 wheels and weights, and giving everythiing a very thorough clean to ensure that the weights would remain stuck in place]

Steve

Back brakes on mine are a bugger, half shafts out and 70mm socket to remove the hubs before you can get at the drumbs which are at the back.
Reverse order and hub retainer nut torqued to 360 p feet as not taper bearings but flat rollers with spacer between, then when shafts back in the hubs have to be filled with oil to half full, 2 fill/vent nuts at 180 dec, not a lot of fun.axle in b.jpg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back