Breakdown cover.

Geraldine

I have just renewed my breakdown cover with Asda. Our campervan Geraldine is named as the main vehicle ( over 30 years old ) I then have personal cover added for any car I am travelling in. All for £125 a year which I think is good value.
This week I had to use the breakdown service for my car. Something wrong with the automatic gearbox.
Anyway I was surprised to find out that if you call out any breakdown company they will only give you upto half an hour diagnosis time of the problem before arranging relay. Gone are the days when they would work on the vehicle to get you going again.
Most call outs are for punctures and electric cars apparently.
Cheers. David

Glad to see that Geraldine's still going David, I thought I read at one stage that you were thinking of replacing her?

I think that with breakdowns these days they are used to just plugging in their computer on modern vehicles and getting a quick diagnosis and deciding whether they can fix it or not, so this is probably not possible on dear old Geraldine?

Look forward to meeting up.

David that we vans like herby it’s got a personality and will probably outlast some of the modern crap take Charlie’s 100k Hymer in a breakers yard outside frankfurt in less than 12 months.😜

David that we vans like herby it’s got a personality and will probably outlast some of the modern crap take Charlie’s 100k Hymer in a breakers yard outside frankfurt in less than 12 months.😜

What!! Oh dear that's not good. Tell me more?

Geraldine is fine. It's the modern cars that are the problem specially the electric ones so I am told.

I changed to AutoAid this year. Its £60pa and covers any vehicle ( including motorbikes, pick-ups, campers) you or legal partner are driving up tp 3.5 tons GVW and with no vehicle age limit. Haven't had to us it yet. Seems an excellent deal.

I changed to AutoAid this year. Its £60pa and covers any vehicle ( including motorbikes, pick-ups, campers) you or legal partner are driving up tp 3.5 tons GVW and with no vehicle age limit. Haven't had to us it yet. Seems an excellent deal.

I've just looked at the terms and conditions and it says the vehicle must be under 2.5ton and less than 2,500cc.

The vehicle I your vehicle - a saloon car, hatchback, estate car, car derived van or motorcycle over l50 cc's. Motorised caravans can be covered provided they are under 2.5 tons gross vehicle weight and with an engine capacity of no more than 2500 cc, which is being driven by either you, or your legal spouse or civil partner.

Also worth checking out Nationwide Flex current accounts, they won’t suit everyone but for a standing charge of £13 per month you get medical cover (subject to personal circumstances), mobile phone cover and breakdown cover. If it’s a joint account that means 2 vehicles and includes motorhomes up to 8 metres long and not exceeding 7.5 gvw and european wide, also covers any vehicle the insured is travelling in.............

Also worth checking out Nationwide Flex current accounts, they won’t suit everyone but for a standing charge of £13 per month you get medical cover (subject to personal circumstances), mobile phone cover and breakdown cover. If it’s a joint account that means 2 vehicles and includes motorhomes up to 8 metres long and not exceeding 7.5 gvw and european wide, also covers any vehicle the insured is travelling in.............
Worth noting that a joint account is the same price, but gives two people "any vehicle" cover.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back