breakdown cover

rugbyken

i have had my breakdown cover through saga for about 17 years in that time have used it three times very satisfied with the outcomes and though i have changed insurance cover almost annually have kept the breakdown cover as a stand alone policy with them , just received a letter to say that they’re phasing it out as a stand alone & will only be available if you have your insurance with them, i know all the phone calls when abroad go to a joint call centre in Lyon i have had calls to the same number answered as RAC, greenflag and AA , just wondered if anyone can recommend one they have received good service from ?

I added European cover inc European breakdown cover through my Caravan Guard motorhome insurance this year for a lot less than the AA quoted me. They also say if I claim, it does not count as a claim on my insurance policy.
Nationwide do a very limited cover with their Flex Plus scheme for £13 a month.

I added European cover inc European breakdown cover through my Caravan Guard motorhome insurance this year for a lot less than the AA quoted me. They also say if I claim, it does not count as a claim on my insurance policy.
In what way is Nationwide cover ‘very limited’ compared to others? When I broke down in Spain they recovered me, put me up in a hotel for what amounted to 2 weeks, paid taxis - they even offered to fly me home for Christmas! So, genuine question, what don’t they provide that other cover does?

The Nationwide £13 per month includes worldwide travel insurance and mobile phone insurance too. We've used the breakdown cover several times, in both the UK and EU, and found them excellent.

I'll give Nationwide the thumbs up too! Used the breakdown on 3 or 4 occasions .... twice recently with the motorhome, and it's been excellent. Covers any vehicle you are in and/or which is registered in your name.

In what way is Nationwide cover ‘very limited’ compared to others? When I broke down in Spain they recovered me, put me up in a hotel for what amounted to 2 weeks, paid taxis - they even offered to fly me home for Christmas! So, genuine question, what don’t they provide that other cover does?
I was curious about the "very limited" comment as well ....

I was with the AA for years but when I upsized to the Rapido they would not cover it over 3.5 so we went with the RAC been with them a few years but now we have down sized we are considering going back to the AA as there service over the years have just pipped them to the post for reliability and this years price there is only £15 difference.

I was with the AA for years but when I upsized to the Rapido they would not cover it over 3.5 so we went with the RAC been with them a few years but now we have down sized we are considering going back to the AA as there service over the years have just pipped them to the post for reliability and this years price there is only £15 difference.
remember as a "New" customer you will be able to get a good deal and likely cashback as well if you go back to the AA.
I use Quidco and checking their cashbacks for the AA, you can get these ...
1718271910990.png
looks like around 50% or so cashback available?

Just as an FYI, the Breakdown cover you get with the Nationwide Flex Plus Account is now provided by the AA.
I went for the Nationwide option as I needed >3.5t cover so few options to chose from, but for £13/month for that cover (which includes full Europe coverage) plus included phone insurance and travel insurance makes it very good value I think.

We are with Nationwide but they won't cover the motorhome, presumeably because we are over 3.5T?

Nationwide do cover over 3.5t! It's buried in the small print that for motirhomes they are covered over 3.5 tons. We have also phoned them to clarify this. I am 3850kg and have used them x 2 in the last 6 weeks. They send out an AA van/ truck.

RAC Arrival covers any size and weight van. I’ve had it for years used it twice and it done the job I paid for perfectly . No point in having cover if it doesn’t work. It also covers me and the the misses for any car motorhome even if we are just passengers. Dose what it says on tin.

Nationwide do cover over 3.5t! It's buried in the small print that for motirhomes they are covered over 3.5 tons. We have also phoned them to clarify this. I am 3850kg and have used them x 2 in the last 6 weeks. They send out an AA van/ truck.
Well, that is interesting, thank you! Does that include abroad, do you know?

RAC Arrival covers any size and weight van. I’ve had it for years used it twice and it done the job I paid for perfectly . No point in having cover if it doesn’t work. It also covers me and the the misses for any car motorhome even if we are just passengers. Dose what it says on tin.
Yes that’s who we are currently with through one of the clubs and yes I’d forgotten about the travelling as a passenger.

Well well, well...... Tiny mistake and all hell breaks out !
Another forum heading in the same direction as Facebook.
I suppose I'm going to get slated for this too.
Why do I post anything !

I can't see any hell breaking out myself...just a natural discussion.

Anyway...we are with Safeguard for our insurance and the UK/EU recovery etc comes as standard with it. Beware the What's in and what's not/exclusions sheet though as it says it doesn't cover MH's over 7m. I rang and checked and was categorically assured that it DOES cover larger MH's (no restrictions they said) and they are in the process of updating their paperwork.

I can't see any hell breaking out myself...just a natural discussion.

Anyway...we are with Safeguard for our insurance and the UK/EU recovery etc comes as standard with it. Beware the What's in and what's not/exclusions sheet though as it says it doesn't cover MH's over 7m. I rang and checked and was categorically assured that it DOES cover larger MH's (no restrictions they said) and they are in the process of updating their paperwork.
Being me ... When I spotted an anomaly on the AA European Policy ['vehicles UNDER 3500Kg'], I telephoned for clarification AND asked for emailed confirmation that theor T&Cs were wrong, because nobody will remember an incoming general enquiries call ... The compulsory ' Our Agents may receive a bonus for achieving certain targets' message before you speak to a Contact Centre employee was enough of a warning for me, Graham!

Steve

Back