C1 licence retention question

This conversation interested me. I gave up my C1 along with my C+E.
On the other side of a lottery win, I’d like to have one of those Sprinter 4x4 Expedition vehicles. Now, these are over 4 tonnes.
Could I then have my C1 re-embursed, subject to a medical, or would another driving test be required?

Yes I know this isn’t going to happen. Although the question remains.

The real answer is, first Win the lottery 🤐

Last edited:
This conversation interested me. I gave up my C1 along with my C+E.
On the other side of a lottery win, I’d like to have one of those Sprinter 4x4 Expedition vehicles. Now, these are over 4 tonnes.
Could I then have my C1 re-embursed, subject to a medical, or would another driving test be required?

Yes I know this isn’t going to happen. Although the question remains.

The real answer is, first Win the lottery 🤐
I think the general consensus is you have get it reinstated without taking a driving test. (I had thought give up a license, take a test to get it back, but I guess it is like if someone has to give up driving for a year or whatever due to a medical issue? when cleared, they can drive again as before?)

You should schedule the medical for just under 3 months before your 70th birthday.

Companies like doctors4drivers charge about £55, of which the doctor gets £15 or so. Go direct and it's cheaper.

The examination mostly consists of asking you questions, doing a blood pressure test and a basic eye test, then a very careful filling in of the form.

If I was struggling with the medical to renew my licence, I think I could downplate my motorhome to 4.25T but not to 3.5.

However that would make the road tax more expensive and if I can't pass the medical, perhaps I shouldn't drive at all.

Companies like doctors4drivers charge about £55
Be careful which company you use as DVLA now refuse to accept medicals from some (e.g. Doctor On Wheels). That said, D4Drivers seem to be fine (at least, DVLA accepted them when I renewed last October).

It's several years since doctorsonwheels was blacklisted. I doubt they're still in business. Don't know of any others that were banned.

Be careful which company you use as DVLA now refuse to accept medicals from some (e.g. Doctor On Wheels). That said, D4Drivers seem to be fine (at least, DVLA accepted them when I renewed last October
and for me in december

It's several years since doctorsonwheels was blacklisted. I doubt they're still in business. Don't know of any others that were banned.
FWIW, you gave "Doctors4Drivers" as the name of a suitable business. AFAICT, that company does not appear to exist. However, "D4Drivers" does -- and appear to be OK.

I knew "Doctors [something]" had been banned and so searched for the name you gave -- turning up not only that "Doctors on Wheels" had been banned but also that they were still offering medicals for some time after the initial 2019 ban and circumventing that ban by acting as an intermediary to arrange driver medicals with self-employed doctors. If their Trustpilot reviews are anything to go by, they were still offering medicals in July 2021 [more than 2 years after the ban]. The company is still listed at Companies House as "active" (clicky link) -- i.e. they are still trading. That said, website www.doctorsonwheels.co.uk is off line at the time of writing (16/08/2023).

However, my reason for posting was that a company has been banned (and so it could happen to another) and, from further research, D4 forms for medicals conducted by certain doctors (names withheld to protect those with similar names) have also been refused, allegedly because the practitioner is unacceptable to DVLA.

I used my local GP. Foolish on several levels. He insisted on eye test first. DVLA web states local printed form is ok. Optician completed page 2 of D4. Then GP needed 6 weeks to book appointment, on day refused to use the form I printed so further few weeks delay waiting for DVLA colour version. Now I have two form one completed by GP the other one by the optician. Photocopied then stapled together along with cover letter. Sent recorded delivery (you don’t have to but time was passing). Proof of delivery. But lost within DVLA. Only have the GP completed section. Sent copied papers again with cover letter. Lost again. After many calls to medical and reception (each taking 30 to 40 minutes just to answer) I emailed Julie Lennard DVLA CEO. Her team asked for electronic copies and licence sent next day. If there is a delay past the birthday, we are covered under Section 88 of The Road Traffic Act if it expires while DVLA are processing the application. Web based dotor next time

FWIW, you gave "Doctors4Drivers" as the name of a suitable business. AFAICT, that company does not appear to exist. However, "D4Drivers" does -- and appear to be OK.

I knew "Doctors [something]" had been banned and so searched for the name you gave -- turning up not only that "Doctors on Wheels" had been banned but also that they were still offering medicals for some time after the initial 2019 ban and circumventing that ban by acting as an intermediary to arrange driver medicals with self-employed doctors. If their Trustpilot reviews are anything to go by, they were still offering medicals in July 2021 [more than 2 years after the ban]. The company is still listed at Companies House as "active" (clicky link) -- i.e. they are still trading. That said, website www.doctorsonwheels.co.uk is off line at the time of writing (16/08/2023).

However, my reason for posting was that a company has been banned (and so it could happen to another) and, from further research, D4 forms for medicals conducted by certain doctors (names withheld to protect those with similar names) have also been refused, allegedly because the practitioner is unacceptable to DVLA.
D4drivers is an abbreviation for doctors4drivers. If what I post is too difficult for you to comprehend, please feel free to ignore what I write.

D4drivers is an abbreviation for doctors4drivers. If what I post is too difficult for you to comprehend, please feel free to ignore what I write.
Really? I thought it was a service for drivers who needed their D4 forms completed! Anyway, I just Googled for, "Doctors4Drivers site:d4drivers.uk" and also searched their "about us" page to find no instances of "Doctors4Drivers". Further, "D4Drivers is a registered trademark of Ryminster Medical Services Ltd." and searching for "Doctors4Drivers" at Companies house returns a null result. The company started trading in 2013 but the archive in the Wayback machine only goes back to 7 May 2015 -- but in none of the captures I checked did they refer to themselves as "doctors4drivers" and it seems they always have traded as D4Drivers.

I really don't think you've cause for complaint when people act on what you write rather than what you mean.

Apologies for earlier post. I wrote on word then copied and paste. Speeling is not my fourta. Anyway the apology is because i have just seen it is in bold. Hope this is in the correct type setting.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back