Calor to Gasit connection?

Vanterrier

Am I reading this right?

It's a Gasit authorised connection so that when I run out of LPG in my underslung tank, I can connect a Calor bottle to the Gasit connection on the van and keep using gas?

Am I supposed to tip the calor bottle upside down and let the liquid gas flow to my tank or just connect the bottle and have gas flowing the whole way?

Or is it one of those novel but slightly dodgy ideas that I should avoid?

What do you think?

K 🤔

It allows you to connect a calor bottle using the POL connection to the bayonet fill connection. The liquid gas in the bottle will vaporise and pass through the rest of your system as normal, that’s the way I see it anyway and I might invest in one myself.

I was also wondering about this for an option, always good to have a backup eh? (y)
"A Precaution is better than a Hope" So sagen sie!

You can fill your van with "just in case" items, until you're over weight. And when you actually do need the thing, you won't be able to find it.
I'm not saying this adapter is or is not a good idea: I'm saying that buying stuff you don't really need is a bad idea.
If you remember to top up the gas whenever you pass it at a good price, or when you might be running low, you'll never want or need to use expensive "bought in a bottle" gas.

But if you have a 16 lit underslung tank and use 1.5 lit per day in cold weather and are in the Hebrides for 2-3 weeks then popping to the nearest outlet does not work.
K

But if you have a 16 lit underslung tank and use 1.5 lit per day in cold weather and are in the Hebrides for 2-3 weeks then popping to the nearest outlet does not work.
K
If you have a 16 litre underslung tank, you wasted your money. I'd not consider anything smaller than 48 litres worth having. Mine is 70 litres, but bigger are readily available.

I`m struggling a bit with this one ?

Is there enough pressure in a full Calor bottle to open the remote fill valve and put the LPG into the empty bottles on board then it can be used by your appliances or ................................................

Do you have to leave the extra stand alone bottle connected whilst you are using your appliances o_O

If you have a 16 litre underslung tank, you wasted your money. I'd not consider anything smaller than 48 litres worth having. Mine is 70 litres, but bigger are readily available.
Bully for you... i bought my van second hand and it was already fitted with the tank which is fine for most uses without wasting payload.

Is there enough pressure in a full Calor bottle to open the remote fill valve and put the LPG into the empty bottles on board then it can be used by your appliances or ................................................

Do you have to leave the extra stand alone bottle connected whilst you are using your appliances o_O
I think it would be the latter.

Thats what I was wondering... i suppose I should contact Gasit and ask them if this thing really is authorised
Cheers
K ;)

Is there enough pressure in a full Calor bottle to open the remote fill valve and put the LPG into the empty bottles on board
No. The Calor bottle is instead of using the onboard tank. One or the other but not both. You can not fill the onboard tank from a Calor bottle and must not fill the Calor bottle from a pump, it does not have the 80% safety cutout and would be dangerous.

No. The Calor bottle is instead of using the onboard tank. One or the other but not both. You can not fill the onboard tank from a Calor bottle and must not fill the Calor bottle from a pump, it does not have the 80% safety cutout and would be dangerous.

Right. In that case how does the gas get into your system via the remote filler that you connect it to with this connector hose ?

Taken from the Ebay listing ............

This simply piece of kit allows you to connect a spare calor red bottle to the fill point of your van so you can still run the gas even when the refillable bottles are empty. this is great for extended trips away when you dont want to decamp to get gas.

Thats what I was wondering... i suppose I should contact Gasit and ask them if this thing really is authorised
Cheers
K ;)

I haven`t looked really hard but i can`t find this item on Gas It`s website

Right. In that case how does the gas get into your system via the remote filler that you connect it to with this connector hose ?
Sorry, the bit of kit I got from Autogas is a different adaptor which I simply unscrew from the refillable cylinder and attach to a Calor one instead. Not suitable for a fixed tank. This filler attachment is different and I am not sure how it would work. I can only guess that the gas is supposed to flow in gaseous form from the Calor cylinder through the filler point into the fixed tank and from there on to the regulator, leaving the liquid gas in the cylinder until needed.
Apologies for confusing the issue.

I have contacted gasit and Nick responded that gasit do not authorise other peoples products but pointed me to their own listing for the same AND cheaper hose with a description that answers our questions. Reckon I will buy one.

HTH

K ;)

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back