Cam belt change - what's your view?

GMJ

Our MH has a 2017 Fiat Ducato base which has done 25k miles. The cam belt change was due at 4 years I believe.

Given that the Ducato is basically a van and therefore perhaps expected to do more than 5k miles a year, what are your views on changing the cam belt at 5 years/25k miles (i.e considerably less than a normal van would be expected to do in that time)?

Personally, I do change every 5 years/25k miles. At the same time it isn’t simply a belt change, it is also the belt idlers and tensioner. As there is a lot of dismantling involved I also replace the water pump, coolant and both auxiliary drive belts at the same time.

The first time I did this at 25k miles the original water pump was showing signs of a small coolant leak and thus vindicated my precautionary replacement. Long life 5yr coolant should be replaced and the system flushed through at 5 years anyway.

I also ensure the brake fluid is replaced every 4 years to ensure 100% efficiency stopping 4tonnes.

is it all strictly ‘necessary’ at these low miles? Perhaps not, but I’m not going to chance it as I know of people who have had failures by delaying servicing.

• Thank You
Reactions: GMJ
Time is also a factor as the belt even if not moving is subject to a certain amount of strain the other parts should be changed as in general machinery doesn't do well if not used.

Or as Clint would say.

Change it... the cost of failure is very significant. As a spin off a failure of a timing belt due changed will not only leave you stranded but also any recovery company requires your vehicle to be up to date with maintenance and they may charge you for recovery too.
You could easily get double the miles out of the existing belt but is it worth the risk.
No meaning to be doom and gloom - happy motorhoming!

Our MH has a 2017 Fiat Ducato base which has done 25k miles. The cam belt change was due at 4 years I believe.

Given that the Ducato is basically a van and therefore perhaps expected to do more than 5k miles a year, what are your views on changing the cam belt at 5 years/25k miles (i.e considerably less than a normal van would be expected to do in that time)?
Change it. It's 'mileage or time' and the cost of putting a snapped belt damaged engine to rights is likely to add a nought to the cost of a belt change (and get the water pump changed at the same time!)

Steve

My wifes yeti only ha d 18000 miles on but its was 5 years old so chznged it better to be safe than sorry .
Jeff

It was always my intention to change it this November anyway when the MH is in for it's MOT. It was folks views on it I was after so thanks all (y)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back