Cameras on Spanish Stop sign junctions and merge junctions

Thanks Graham.

Some years ago I started a style of driving (new for me) that when I saw a stop sign, I not only stopped but counted to three, mainly because I read that police were cracking down on "rolling stops".

Your article suggests that driving or rolling through a stop sign is the second most common motoring offence in Spain with obvious consequences. If true, then I applaud the authorities.

i had heard that the EU police couldn’t trace english plates but didn’t know if it was hearsay , on our trip this year got stopped by the police on a roundabout in portugal just waved in , he then showed me footage on his camera of me doing 50 in a 50 area the only problem he was on kph i was on mph, this camera was only a mile or so back down the road took card payment at the side of the road and said i was fortunate they could no longer interact with the uk or would have received points !

It's an innocent mistake. Nowadays I ignore my speedo (with it's ridiculously small display) and rely on my satnav re-calibrated to kph. It's a win-win for me as I'm monitoring the same display for rest stops and fuel.

i had heard that the EU police couldn’t trace english plates but didn’t know if it was hearsay , on our trip this year got stopped by the police on a roundabout in portugal just waved in , he then showed me footage on his camera of me doing 50 in a 50 area the only problem he was on kph i was on mph, this camera was only a mile or so back down the road took card payment at the side of the road and said i was fortunate they could no longer interact with the uk or would have received points !
So you should pay a fine 80km in a 30km should have locked you lol

in France they will still fine you but no points i believe .cheyenne

All this "I've heard" stuff is nonsense. Firstly, if you break the law, you should pay the penalty, no matter where you are. Second, some fines are sold to British debt collectors and third? Going back into wherever you have broken the law could be problematic as they also have ANPR systems. Yes you might sell the van in the meantime, but that only creates problems for the new owner. The European authorities can also access the DVLA on the same basis that parking companies can. So where this "i had heard that the EU police couldn’t trace English plates" comes from I have no idea. But the easy option? Don't break the law!

I got a speeding fine through from Spain around 3 years ago now (maybe the year before Covid perhaps). It had a 'pay early' price or the full price if over 14 days or so. I contacted them and they let me pay the early pay price as I explained that we had only just got back from Spain which was some weeks later.

My view is the same: I pay the fine as want to go back to the country and wouldn't want anything hanging over my head should I ever get stopped by the local constabulary.

I have never had anything from France despite my occasionally setting off a camera. I suspect though that is because we are a high sided vehicle so the camera mistakes us for a lorry perhaps.

My general driving speed abroad is such that I should always be below the speed limits anyway so triggering cameras is quite a rare occurrence.

According to Direct Line although the reciprocal arrangement with the EU for tracing drivers has ended (until a new agreement) they can still find you via other ways as explained by Rumour. You might also be stopped at border control.

Like GMJ I got a speeding ticket in Spain in winter 2019/20. A neighbour alerted me to the letter as he collects my mail and I paid up pronto. It’s no excuse I know but on ordinary roads there are frequent speed limit changes, often in a very short space, and with your attention on so many other things, like directions, traffic etc it’s easy to go over the limit.

All this "I've heard" stuff is nonsense. Firstly, if you break the law, you should pay the penalty, no matter where you are. Second, some fines are sold to British debt collectors and third? Going back into wherever you have broken the law could be problematic as they also have ANPR systems. Yes you might sell the van in the meantime, but that only creates problems for the new owner. The European authorities can also access the DVLA on the same basis that parking companies can. So where this "i had heard that the EU police couldn’t trace English plates" comes from I have no idea. But the easy option? Don't break the law!
all i have heard is this nonsense :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back