CamperVan Self-Build - Idea

I've never fitted steadies to my vans.
Pros : non rocking van helps to get to sleep on windy nights, can even be a safety aid in that there's less chance
of a pot flying off the stove. May prevent suspension sqeak due to movement.
Cons ; When wilding, you can't immediately drive off in an emergency. If you don't have some sort of ignition immobilisation
or at least a warning light you may drive off with the steadies down, I've seen that done a number of times! They
add weight hence reduce payload.
Worst of all when you rock up and unwind you look like an ex caravanner!! Only kidding nowt wrong with caravanners...... well some!!.

• Funny
Reactions: Caz
best done ,imo , with 12v actuators individually switched. great for levelling up

not these particularly ,but this kind of thing , clamped to the chassis https://www.amazon.co.uk/24inch-stroke-linear-actuator-electric/dp/B01FLRV3YS

I don't know of anyone making 12v electric powered steady kits ready to fit. If they were expected to actually level the van
then they would be expected to support perhaps 2 or 3t a pair, they'd have to be well braced and fitted. OK perhaps
just to ease the springs enough to stop any body movement.
The more usual bolt on hydraulic type kits are £3000 plus I believe. Probably cost something like this or more to make a
12v version is the reason perhaps hydraulic seems to rule.
I've seen people wind the caravan type steadies with a 12v/240v drill or impact driver.

sorry , i meant bolt to the body and lift that . just a few inches to level on normal ground , and they'd steady it too

My little Romahome C15 had corner steadies. First time I used them I dug gouges out of the hardstanding, trying to drive away with them down. I only used them on one other occasion - in very windy weather over New Year when it got a bit rocky.
None of the other motorhomes or campervans I've had, have had them fitted.

The wobble has never bothered me.

That reminds me.
Much cheaper than any corner steady system is a sticker on the door, you know the one that says
IF THE VANS ROCKING, STOP KNOCKING,
If that's the reason you want the steadies for of course ;)

my daughters ambo has steadies on the back corners, like caravan ones , but much heavier duty. she never uses them

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back