can you put disabled tax on motorhome

That may not be as strict nowadays Steve. Motability had a lot of discussions with government about this and it was agreed a vehicle could be used by family members or usual driver for their own use as well. One of the examples they gave was going to the shops. You cannot however use a blue badge unless it is to aid the disabled person themselves

Whilst that would make sense the .gov info still says

Who can apply for the free vehicle tax
The registered keeper, who can be:
• the person with the illness or disability
someone who uses their vehicle only for the ill or disabled person.

From the document at:

@St3v3 Like you I think it's always best to go to the source for definitive answers.

I have no doubt motability may well have been in discussion and came up with something of a technicality to allow it.

As I said, it would make sense for family to not have to run a second car just because the husband drives to golf on his own every sunday.

Not as much on the Motability site as there was at one time but it still has the part posted below and the link to it. I am sure at one time it mentioned using it to go to work in the case of a parent as the income supported the child but I can’t see that now. End of the day it’s to stop things being abused and if you aren’t abusing it you are unlikely to get any problem but it is as well to think about how each use is a benefit to the disabled person and act accordingly.

Didn’t matter in my case as it was me but Mrs has always had full use of my car for whatever she wanted to do although when we both worked we had two cars and she used her own. Since I retired it’s one car and the van. I suppose also with a Motability car you have a big organisation to argue the point for you if needs be where doing you own van you wouldn’t.

• The car is used by, or for the benefit of, the disabled person. This does not mean that the disabled person needs to be in the car for every journey. In practice, this means other named drivers in the household can use the car for shopping and other routine activities, as long as the disabled customer will benefit.

That may not be as strict nowadays Steve. Motability had a lot of discussions with government about this and it was agreed a vehicle could be used by family members or usual driver for their own use as well. One of the examples they gave was going to the shops. You cannot however use a blue badge unless it is to aid the disabled person themselves
Correct miss use of a blue badge can carry a hefty fine

I know a chap here who had a car on the mothers name but used it every day to go to work, his mum was hardly ever in it, many here flont the rules.

Goverment schem is for new motorhomes , could be other options for used vans ?.

Last edited:
When we bought our present motorhome it had disabled tax on it which I had to change.

Agreed, but needs a bit of further clarity - the disabled person to whom the badge has been issued MUST be in the vehicle or at the shops. As a none entitled person you can't use the badge to nip to the shops for your mum (entitled) whilst she is in another location.

Goverment schem is for new motorhomes , could be other options for used vans ?.
As a disabled person receiving Personal Independent Payment (either mobility or care) the purchase can be VAT free if used for the benefit of the disabled person. The best rule to go by is "if you don't ask, you don't" get. We've just had our bathroom and en-suite totally renewed and all VAT free, saved a bucket load! However I would rather not be disabled..........

Slightly off topic. I get involved in occasional electrical work or assessments of ex Police Vans and Ambulances which when being used as a service vehicle were VED exempt.

Unfortunately a lot of shall we say less than honourable people buy ex service vehicles especially ex Ambulances to knowingly abuse the vehicles previous VED exempt status and I have learnt to avoid those types of (often also non paying) customer!

Interestingly the typical ANPR cameras in police cars never seem to register that a previous VED exempt vehicle which is clearly now being used as a camper, delivery van, burger bar etc might warrant checking because the taxation class is incorrect.

However the online tools related to the ever growing ULEZ zones do seem to be picking up discrepancies with these vehicles so they must use an alternate method as checking data with the DVLA or a 3rd party because, taxation class is, for some really weird reason, not available via the standard DVLA API

It's a bit of a palaver getting the taxation class changed, various forms and a cheque etc to be posted to the DVLA and it takes about 6 weeks
In theory it can also be processed at a main Post Office as well but it is a lottery as to whether the post master knows how to do it.

Ironically and reason for this post is about three years ago when I tried to change my first ex Ambulance to PHGV at a post office in my nearest town I had a choice of one!

The only thing the post master seemed to be able to do on his system at that time was change the taxation class of from a VED exempt Ambulance to a VED exempt Disabled vehicle.

Weird world isn't it!

Never had a problem over last 3 years with our elderly Hymer getting the disabled tax… just did it at post office like any other private vehicle. No queries came up with the post office staff. We do pay full tax on car though… you only get the disabled tax on one vehicle no matter how many you may own

hi there I hope someone can help me with my query at the moment we a caravan but now we are both decided we want to carry on but want it a little easier and considering a motorhome our friend has one for sale we have disabled tax on our car at the moment i am basically asking can you put the tax to a motorhome instead of car as we are thinking of selling both our caravan and car so we trying to find out a few things before we commit to buying motorhome really hope someone can help with this query thank you for reading
there is no problem I have had mine taxed for the first year by the dealer after that year I changed it to disabled so just go ahead and tax it disabled so long as you have canceled the other car you have it on now

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back