Car A frame trailer.

juliet

We have bought a MG midget that we want to trailer with the MH on a A frame. We have been told this would need to be braked.

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with braked A frames? Or A frames in general.

Thanks in advance

Stick it on a trailer, spent thousands of miles towing things with aframes, you would struggle to get a decent a frame under a midget and clear the front valance.
And then the problem comes with trying to brake it
The older cars used to have a Bowden cable that went in thru the window and applied pressure to the brake pedal when the towing vehicle slowed,
The brake pedal lever arm on a midget goes straight onto the bottom of the master cylinder so it would be impossible to fit a remote unit unless it utilised the brake pedal assembly, then you have the problem with the front wishbones,
The rear wheel drive vehicles of old weren’t designed to be pushed backwards round a corner from the front end the Ackerman angle is all wrong so as you reverse your motorhome round a corner you are pushing on the wishbones of the mg, pushing on a wishbone makes the inner wheel tuck in tighter and tighter until the ball joints are under a terrible strain, when it can move no moreit makes the tyre scrub across the ground thus placing more pressure on steering joints, sorry to put such a downer on your purchase but enjoy yourself,
Ps forgot about modern speed bumps that will give you a fright when the steel of the aframe mashes itself into some of the steep speed bumps ?

Last edited:
I have a spare A-frame which you are welcome to borrow to see if you can set it up in a satisfactory way. If it works you can buy it if not it could be sold on or returned. It would need to be picked up from Poole.

The Midget due to its front end construction is not really suitable to usage with a normal A frame . I would agree with @andyjanet best answer is small trailer . Modifying the front to adapt to a modern braked A frame would cost more than a new trailer. also would detract from originality value of the vehicle .

I have a spare A-frame which you are welcome to borrow to see if you can set it up in a satisfactory way. If it works you can buy it if not it could be sold on or returned. It would need to be picked up from Poole.
that's very kind thank you. my husband has just nipped out. will speak to him on his return and get back to you.

julie

I don't know where you are planning on using the A frame but I would not come over here with it a trailer would be better.

My first A frame was in 1988 when we towed a Fiat Panda (700kg) we towed all over Europe in those days but obviously not now, we still tow a Fiat Panda but even with the experience of 30yrs using one I would not tow an MG Midget on an A frame, as previously mentioned a small trailer would be more suitable for a classic car

If you still want to do it contact a few of the suppliers, www.armitagetrailers.com/Aframes.htm make one for an MGB so they could be worth talking to

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back