Caravan zig unit

Philcott

I've purchased a Renault master 57 plate, complete with fancy heater so am luckier than most as it is an ex NHS patient transport vehicle. (Just background ?)

I've been given a zig unit from a caravan and have noticed that (I think) the leisure battery is charged from the main battery of the van when running. Anyone used a zig unit? I'm thinking it will save me fitting a split charge to boost my leisure battery.

Your thoughts would be much appreciated

A zig unit will (may?) have a super-basic split-charge system, so while you may save a few quid compared to buying a basic relay (costing under a fiver), I am not sure that will compensate for the limitations

zigs are quite inefficient . i'd recommend flogging it and getting a split relay and a smart charger

I'm reluctant to get rid of the zig unit as it will come in handy to do the 12v things like lights, usb charging and similar. I'm happy to get a split charge done if that is better, but I thought I would ask in the hopes that folk like you know! ? Thank you

A zig unit will (may?) have a super-basic split-charge system, so while you may save a few quid compared to buying a basic relay (costing under a fiver), I am not sure that will compensate for the limitations
It's not just the minimal cost of a basic relay, but the labour charges as I can't do it, nor can my son sadly, that worry me.

in that case i would go ahead and fit it. wiring them in is quite straightforward and instructions can be found online. they were good enough for millions of caravans after all. it will normally have a split charger and will charge your leisure batt when the engine is running. what sort is it ?

Thanks Mr Brown, not sure what make. It's in the van (loose) so will need to fish it out.

My son has found a company called Raptor Electronics in Braintree which is not far away from me, so thinking of splashing out and getting a kit to solve my problem. Peter says he thinks he can do the wiring for me.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back