Cat N cars

Carrerasax

So what are the big down sides of a repaired car,

I’m considering a 2020 ish Peugeot 308 and a cat N one is £8k but normal £12k
As I expect to run it for 10 years if I can, won’t be worth much more than nothing
I’ll have it checked to make sure it’s not been bodge repaired , seller says it was n/s/f wing damage, but 35% less is a big drop🤔🤔

Last edited:
If it’s been done properly it’s exactly as you say, a good saving. It’s only when you come to move it on you obviously get less but if keeping it you won’t experience that 👍

Edit: it is a long time since I have messed around with vehicles now so May be worth asking insurance as well just in case it affects cover and/or premiums these days.

Always going be members of the "walk away" mentality but personally I think they are a great way of getting a car at a knock down price, both of our last two cars were CAT S.
My daughter has just purchased a 2023 CAT S Skoda with just 1500miles on the clock, retail new was £18,500, without the repair the value would be somewhere around the £14-15k mark and she paid £9500. no increase on the insurance premium for her BTW.
Yes when it comes to selling it she wont get as much for it but if she keeps it for 15-20 years then the difference in price isn't going to be anything like the 5k she's already saved.

As above repaired to a decent standard ....
It's can be a useful saving ....
Obviously IF you are reselling then it would be worth proportionally less than a none cat car ...
BUT as a buy and use till end of useful life of the vehicle then YOU get the saving end of .

Always going be members of the "walk away" mentality but personally I think they are a great way of getting a car at a knock down price, both of our last two cars were CAT S.
My daughter has just purchased a 2023 CAT S Skoda with just 1500miles on the clock, retail new was £18,500, without the repair the value would be somewhere around the £14-15k mark and she paid £9500. no increase on the insurance premium for her BTW.
Yes when it comes to selling it she wont get as much for it but if she keeps it for 15-20 years then the difference in price isn't going to be anything like the 5k she's already saved.
Surprised we haven't heard from him yet

As I expect to run it for 10 years if I can, won’t be worth much more than nothing
I’ll have it checked to make sure it’s not been bodge repaired , seller says it was n/s/f wing damage, but 35% less is a big drop🤔🤔
The damage on a write off vehicle MUST be recorded by the insurance company so it's possible to find accurate details of the damage. This includes pictures taken of the damage.

Cat N is none structural damage, so it will only have had light panel damage.
Yes when the time comes to sell it you won’t get as much as a none cat car, but you aren’t paying as much when you buy it.
I used to buy and repair accident damaged cars, and remember one guy that bought one off me it was only a month old when it got written off, I repaired it using all genuine parts, sold it at almost half the price it was when new a month earlier, so a saving to the buyer of over £9,000,
I advertised it as having been accident repaired, showed him photos of the vehicle before it was repaired.
Then about 9 or 10 years later I got a phone call from the same guy, he had traded the car in for a new car at a dealers and because it was on the register they knocked £500 off the trade in price that they had firs offered him,
And he was asking if I was willing to make up the difference by giving him the £500, which I said I would do if he was going to give me the £9,000 he had saved when he bought the car from me.

I have came across many cars which were badly damaged and repaired but not recorded, either diy fix or by a mate who does this for a living at home, paid into back pocket job, give any wagon you buy a good lock over, telltail is paint to smooth, there should be a wave efect as you look along any panels, all panels should be the same, door jam gaps etc another give away or over spray.
This is one i sorted after cutting the front left hand corner of and welding a new section from a doner car. ;) red skoda sold.jpg

If you’re planning to keep it until ‘end of life’, the salvage value will be the same!

My neighbour was selling a clapped out Honda CRV for £300… I kept it on site for a few months, pulling trailers around, then sold it for scrap for £500. It was collected FOC and paid within an hour… All they were interested in was that the cat converter was still there! 😏

As others have said a good way to save a substantial amount of money my two daughters and us all run cat cars ,makes no difference to insurance,our last 4 cars were all cat s. One was written off a couple of months after we bought it other drivers insurance paid us about 35%more than we bought it for without any fuss.our pvc was also cat s.ive found when your name has been in the v5for a few years it gives potential buyers more confidence less walk away and a less er discounted price can be achieved

I bought this as a write off, repaired it, just plastic parts and sold it on after riding it for a few months, I didn't make a lot on it but I enjoyed sourcing and fitting it all, I forget what cat it was, it was around 2002, the side you can see was the damaged side.

1727257533683.jpeg

My best mate mends write off every day and they all go back on the road, some are very serious, but that's the business he's in

Nice pan , obviously your legs are alot longer than mine! I had to have a seat made in america for mine and i was still on tip toes with that 😀

A cracking bike, I swapped it for my first Harley, an FXRP in Scarborough I took it up to 140 on the A64 and figured that was enough on a A road.

My MOT station was fine with no CC on my 2.8jtd vans.

Back