catalytic converter

Nick-Mandy

Sorry If this thread is in the incorrect section.

I'm waiting to pick up hopefully very soon my first motorhome. Like a transit van the under chassis is fairly high off the ground. I'm worried about the catalytic converter being so easy to steal. Can I run a poll to see who has ever had an issue with this, and who has had security devices fitted to prevent their catalytic converter being stolen.

If you can recommend security devices or places who fit this type of security, this would be a great help to me.

Any advice is welcomed.
Thank you

I've heard it spoken of but personally never done anything about it if they decide their going to have it they'll have it if you make it difficult they'll only do more damage. I think now that your DPF is probably a more expensive part of exhaust but haven't yet heard of any DPF thefts.

No personal experience of this but in visiting up to 9 forums each day over 10 years or so, it is not a very widespread problem. It seems to come and go in waves depending on the price of the precious metals. Same with copper, lead even manhole covers. Undoubtedly it does occur and there have been reports of dealerships or other depots being raided.

As it happens I was looking at a website someone posted recently of protective wire cages for them, although most types of protection presumably only delay the thief with a portable grinder.

To be honest if I was in your position I would be doing research into more basic security, I assume from your post you are getting a Transit based van. These seem to be a common target for theft due to a poor locking system on the cab doors.

I think you would profit also from looking on forums (esp wildcamping which is a much older forum with depth of knowledge) regarding protecting your van from break in. This is the most common issue. Read up on devices and ways of ensuring you don’t make your van an attractive option.

Despite all of this the most important thing is to get out and enjoy your van. As I peruse the forums, a very tiny minority have issues of theft with their vans.

Best wishes and many happy trips when you do get your van.

Davy

No personal experience of this but in visiting up to 9 forums each day over 10 years or so, it is not a very widespread problem. It seems to come and go in waves depending on the price of the precious metals. Same with copper, lead even manhole covers. Undoubtedly it does occur and there have been reports of dealerships or other depots being raided.

As it happens I was looking at a website someone posted recently of protective wire cages for them, although most types of protection presumably only delay the thief with a portable grinder.

To be honest if I was in your position I would be doing research into more basic security, I assume from your post you are getting a Transit based van. These seem to be a common target for theft due to a poor locking system on the cab doors.

I think you would profit also from looking on forums (esp wildcamping which is a much older forum with depth of knowledge) regarding protecting your van from break in. This is the most common issue. Read up on devices and ways of ensuring you don’t make your van an attractive option.

Despite all of this the most important thing is to get out and enjoy your van. As I peruse the forums, a very tiny minority have issues of theft with their vans.

Davy

Thank you Davy,
Very helpful Info

If you're looking for theft security, a disklok is about as good as it gets. Especially when modified, loads of info on the net.

But yes, don't spend too long worrying about these things!

There's a anti theft device you can buy for you at unit it's a rope type device I have a transit based hymer and there's a post as to my anti theft devices I've installed will try to find the post and put it here for you in case it helps

Here's what I did to my door locks ,I also disconnected the central door lock system,disc lock and a device accross both internal front doors ,,done a few other mods and turn the captains chair around and lock into a rear facing position
what year,model etc is the camper you've bought76CE94B1-0C44-4A94-81F8-2D5164BB6E55.png

The joy of having a geriatric MH is that you can sling the cat and fit a bypass pipe thus reducing the cost of a new exhaust to nuppence, on a Ducato that is

Here's what I did to my door locks ,I also disconnected the central door lock system,disc lock and a device accross both internal front doors ,,done a few other mods and turn the captains chair around and lock into a rear facing position
what year,model etc is the camper you've boughtView attachment 54623

Elddis Evolution 185 2020 model. I like the idea of disconnected the central door lock system. Probably put the same "additional immobolizer" on my m/h that I have on my car.

We bought an Autosleeper Broadway, based on a Peugeot Boxer chassis, new, in 2013. Cat thefts were widespread at the time and the cat could be accessed easily from under the vehicle, so I bought and fitted a Catclamp type device.
Now, we have a 2018 Fiat Ducato and looking under the vehicle, I can’t see the cat, it appears to be tucked up in the engine compartment.
If your new van is Ducato based, it may be that your cat is not easily accessible so may not need any security device to save it from theft, can you get to see it and look underneath?
As for our security, we have Heosafe locks on the doors and 2 trackers.

We bought an Autosleeper Broadway, based on a Peugeot Boxer chassis, new, in 2013. Cat thefts were widespread at the time and the cat could be accessed easily from under the vehicle, so I bought and fitted a Catclamp type device.
Now, we have a 2018 Fiat Ducato and looking under the vehicle, I can’t see the cat, it appears to be tucked up in the engine compartment.
If your new van is Ducato based, it may be that your cat is not easily accessible so may not need any security device to save it from theft, can you get to see it and look underneath?
As for our security, we have Heosafe locks on the doors and 2 trackers.

Thank you, that's interesting. I'll take a look underneath and see where mine is located. Picking it up next week.

Davy
I think the new Elddis Evolution is based on Peugeot chassis.

Yes you are right Rog, so when torchy posted about the new van on Tuesday I looked it up. His original post kind of hinted at Transit, but I hoped what I posted would be reasonably applicable to any van.

Davy

As we all know, the Transit does have a greater likelihood for getting permanently borrowed, so its a big relief that Torchy hasn’t gone down that road.
Looking at the advert for the Evolution, it is very nice.
Have you got a solar panel and a refillable gas system fitted Nick?

As we all know, the Transit does have a greater likelihood for getting permanently borrowed, so its a big relief that Torchy hasn’t gone down that road.
Looking at the advert for the Evolution, it is very nice.
Have you got a solar panel and a refillable gas system fitted Nick?

Latest model. Solar Panel and I believe a refillable gas system. Has a neat 4Kw heater for January trips.
I'm not keen on Peugeot, had a bad experience of someone stealing my stereo from it (all to do with their door locking system). Had absolutely no choice buying one as the model is perfect for all our needs.

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back